RiversGrace

Navigating the Sacred and Mundane

Thursday, April 17, 2008

The Motherhood of Sleep

Head to head, we synchronize our breathing, his hand reaches to pat my back. He's learning to do that. I swim in the dark of sound and body, it's all I can do to regulate quiet convulses, emotion deep enough to give her the space she needs. Down the hall, night lights every ten feet, screams ride a palette of tone, and I am a symphony of tears with hers.

There's nothing easy about letting my girl sit with fear.

"It's hard because I remember that place, " I whisper to him. Just the way he sighs, I know he's traveling back to childhood aloneness. The warmth emanates between torsos and time held in waiting. We wait and let her cry herself into the depths of being small and alone and afraid.

It's 3am, two hours into this trek we take each night. Two hours and four rounds of holding, assuring, protecting, loving. I see the marriage counselor repeating, "I'm concerned about what looks like a profound lack of self-care, Prema. You have to sleep."

Down the hall, wet trails on red cheeks, I kiss her forehead, "River, mama loves you. I know it's hard to feel afraid, but you are safe right now. You are safe and you are loved. Mama cannot be a good mama if I don't sleep. I have to go to bed."

Racking sobs, pleas, helpless gasps and chokes of despair. Down that road I feel into all the images of myself as a child, knowing just how it feels to cry into a pillow for hours. Thirty minutes later and I am wrapping my legs around hers, accept the clasp of tiny fingers in mine. We rock slowly into sleep just before the light of dawn hits the horizon.

I shape shift away from her, open mouth to the sky, and tip toe back to bed. Back to where I passed the exit to sleep hours ago. The tax form floats across my mind. Occupation: homemaker. Translation: slacker. Several people have asked me lately if I work outside the home. Gravity fills the silence, blankly, "No."

The sun moves across the curtains, dancing fish, spots of light, and I awaken to the chime of the repeating alarm.

7 Comments:

Blogger kario said...

Oh, Prema. I am so sorry for this weight you carry on your shoulders. Having a child who cannot sleep is the most torturous thing for a mother. Please know that as the mother of a now-8-year old who didn't sleep until she was five, I am standing right beside you, helping you support this weight in any way I can.

Love.

7:59 PM  
Blogger Mama 'N Me said...

This is a pleasure to read in so many ways. Delighted by "warmth emanates between torsos," and "dancing fish."

But I'm with Amber (don't you love her straight-talking ways!)--enough negative self talk.

5:26 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

Oh Prema, I am so sorry. Your writing is so beautiful, but I wish you didn't have to go through this. Like everyone has said, you need sleep too. So you can take care of River's mom just like you take such wonderful care of River.

I hate that she is feels so upset, but remember that love and comfort and pure attention await her every morning. She can count on it.

Can you leave the house for a few days, leave your husband to weather the crying and see if it peters out a bit when she gets no satisfaction?

I have a friend who went through this w/ her little one: it was agony, but he turns 4 this month and things really are getting better. I'm sure you are trying everything in the book.

Sending you all good nocturnal wishes. And I for one know just how hard you work. The hardest (yet best) job in the world.

1:09 PM  
Blogger Michelle O'Neil said...

We did the Ferber method. (His book is Solve Your Child's Sleep Problems).

You go in every five minutes. Then 10, then 15 etc.

Because I was OUT OF MY MIND with sleep deprivation.

Some say it's cruel, but I don't think so. Sleep is when we connect with the Divine. Parent AND child need it. Period.

6:58 PM  
Blogger Carrie Wilson Link said...

"Down the hall, night lights every ten feet, screams ride a palette of tone, and I am a symphony of tears with hers."

If that's how you write sleep deprived, I'm scared of how much you'd blow my mind with a reservoir of rest from which to pull!

Get your self to Sisters. Stat. Sleep. Sleep for days. You need it. She's not sleeping anyway, you might as well be. That sounds cruel, but nothing is more cruel than sleep deprivation.

9:04 PM  
Blogger hg said...

Sleep, sleep my friend.

Sleep deprived of not, it's so nice to have you back in this space. Nobody puts words together like you do, my friend.

Hope the weekend workshops are a good start at realigning!

11:17 AM  
Blogger Lil said...

i have a 3yr old, i can relate...can't most mothers?? she's still on the bottle though...and i know hell is just around the corner as we brace ourselves for a big girl bed and no-bottle-just-blanket night ahead. i couldn't do it when she was littler, i don't know how i'll do it now. except that it will trigger me like it does you...i wish it was diferent for them, i wish there was another way that they could learn to fall asleep without us...i wish motherhood was easier on my heart. i have to keep telling myself that there is a lesson in everything we do together, in every butting of our heads and every temper tantrum. otherwise the guilt and worry sets in and then i'm screwed...

*sigh* just know that another mom is here with you...

peace,
Lil

3:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home