RiversGrace

Navigating the Sacred and Mundane

Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Holding the Sun

Two nights of sleep, divided by one of none. That's enough to think straight for a few hours. That's enough to recognize seedlings and bulbs, cloud cover and downpours. Enough to know that I am here in the mirror, there I go down the hall.

I can't say where I am for weeks and weeks. Insomnia is like that. Forgetting, repeating, starts and stops everywhere until I catch myself in basic breakdown between thought to action, thought to thought, around any kind of memory.

I threw my back out. Then got the flu. Add Spring break, no school and childcare. That's where I went.

A third night of sleep and I am cognizant again. I sit to write but all I can do is listen to music, hours pass and I breathe myself back.

How do we awaken from a long sleep? How do we remember that we have a body of pleasure?

How do we open within an enclosure of leaves, wrapped in tight weave spiral, winter at our back? Spring is here, adjust to the shock of light, the fervent feeling of rest and the rudeness of joy.

5 Comments:

Blogger Jerri said...

The remembering happens differently for everyone, I think. I go outside and breathe. My friend Barb goes to an art museum and breathes. Another friend surrenders to the moment, whatever and wherever it is, and breathes.

You're breathing yourself back. Must mean you're halfway there.

Lovely to see your words again. Always.

6:02 PM  
Blogger Go Mama said...

...the rudeness of joy. Hey! Wake up. Come out and play already. We missed you.

How do we open? We just do. It is innate. Sap whispering through your veins, pushing your branches outward, upward. Even in fog, the place between sleep and not-quite asleep, the sap is still coursing within you.

Welcome back, P!

10:02 PM  
Blogger Carrie Wilson Link said...

Ditto Go Mama, "...the rudeness of joy," wow.

Welcome back. We need you here. Desperately.

8:20 AM  
Blogger Amber said...

Yeah. I missed you.

I wish you sleep and rest....You are sleeeeppy. You will dreeeam lovely dreeeams. You will have very joyfull but polite dreeeams. ;)

:)

5:09 PM  
Blogger Jess said...

Missed you here, too. Love your words.

Love "the fervent feeling of rest and the rudeness of joy." Have to sit with that.

Yes, things are moving, shifting, opening.

11:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home