RiversGrace

Navigating the Sacred and Mundane

Friday, April 20, 2007

Six Feet Under

If you want to take a wild, wild ride; if you want film as your vehicle through the far reaches of the human psyche, the complexity of relationship, the depths of heartbreak and the pure face of redemption - rent all five seasons of Six Feet Under and watch it in the course of two months. That's right, five years of drama condensed into eight weeks.

A few of us have mentioned the quality of being torn open, in the best sense. Having just finished the finale episode, I am torn open. That thing where you laugh and cry at the same time while saying fuck under your breath because the meaning is still in motion, infurling, synapses all afire, heart rate in rhythmic alchemy with core truths of life.

It's a brilliant, beautiful, disturbing, humble, funny rendition. Anything can be a teaching and I find that sometimes movies can deliver the best kind. But this is a favorite movie exended out, times ten, across weeks.

If you can steal an hour here and there at odd hours, go for it. Totally totally worth it.

12 Comments:

Blogger Jess said...

Hmm, I never watch TV and never rent movies. I know I'm missing out on stuff, I know.

Maybe when you live here, you can help me with that.

I mean, after hearing you talk about something this way, how could I not pay attention?

2:29 AM  
Blogger Michelle O'Neil said...

I saw one of the first episodes the other day (might have been the first, I'd never seen 6FU before) where the totally anal dude running the funeral home goes to his lover's apartment after the death of his Dad.

It was so amazing to see the different sides of this character, and it was so moving to see a guy in such utter control become so vulnerable with someone he felt safe with.

It blew me away.

We all have so many sides to ourselves.

7:47 AM  
Blogger riversgrace said...

I know...no one has time to watch an entire series....and it's TV. But it's totally worth it. It's so rare to see true portrayals of people...it challenged me to watch sometimes because it showed things that I don't allow myself or anyone to see. That's refreshing.

9:19 AM  
Blogger Carrie Wilson Link said...

I've been trying to decide which show to become obsessed with (I wait until they're in DVD and then go on sprees) - thanks for making my decision! Can't wait!

12:31 PM  
Blogger hg said...

I'm sold - like carrie I like to watch in spree's so i can see the whole thing at once. avoid all of that cliff hanger bullshit!

Thanks for the recommendation.

12:47 PM  
Blogger Jerri said...

Sign me up, too. AFTER the Book That Would Not Die, of course.

I'm gonna need a little passive entertainment (tv) by then.

3:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love this series. It blew me away,especially the ending. It really was one of the most powerful shows I have ever seen, the relationships, the family life cycle and the the life lessons that are all around us. I don't watch much tv, but this was really great.

8:55 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

I loved this series, although I watched it over the years as it was on. Fantastic writers involved (I knew one of them), incredible acting, and the finale TOTALLY blew me away.

Great recommendation!

5:23 PM  
Blogger Suzy said...

This series (coming from a TV addict) is probably the best written, and acted series I have ever seen. I have followed this series until the end every year and is just amazed at the writing.
The characters are real,their lives are real. The final episode will blow you away. Simply amazing. I really miss this series.

3:38 AM  
Blogger Michelle O'Neil said...

Love how Link's obsessions are premeditated. That's brilliant!

10:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My favorite TV show EVER. Loved it for 6 years. Still cry when I hear the song "Breathe" by Sia (from the finale). My partner has to remind me that the characters ARE NOT REAL PEOPLE.
Glad you discovered it...it is a gem.
Lori

10:35 PM  
Blogger Amber said...

Kory and I watched this show all five years. And you are right, So great. I still miss them like they ar ereal people. ;)

:)

7:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home