RiversGrace

Navigating the Sacred and Mundane

Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Synchronicity



When I was pregnant with River I walked every day around the neighborhood. One day I went a bit farther and ended up right in front of this house. Something about it made me stop and stare - it had soul. I was captured by a beautiful dakini fountain tucked beside the front garden.
Keeping her company, two sphynx flanking the front steps.
I've never done this before - I knocked on the front door just to tell the owners how much I loved their house, and I knew they must be people I would want to know. Three different times I tried but no one ever answered. This house became my daily destination. I brought family, friends, and out of town visitors to see it. Then I had a baby.

Months went by and I no longer took my walks. I eventually decided to join a mother's group and drove to the first meeting. Heading up the hill I began to feel strange. I already knew. It was at the that house. I couldn't believe it!

I entered the side gate and walked up the sidewalk.

Inside, I carried River up the staircase and was stunned to find a large photo of a Mexican shaman on the wall, a (rather obscure) medicine woman whose teachings I knew intimately. At the top of the stairs, a table/altar filled with icons and symbols that were close to my heart. Two women shared this house, medicine women in their own right, and I laughed to myself: Uh huh, of course I would be called to walk to this house day after day.

We were looking for a house to buy and had already been turned down on three or four offers. The market was crazy in Berkeley and people were paying 50% over asking price. A few weeks into our search, the facilitator of my mom's group asked how the house hunting was going. We were sitting in circle. I was quiet for a moment, "What I want is this house." She looked at me, jaw dropped, and said, "How strange that you say that....we just decided today that we are moving, out of the blue. We feel called to take our work to another place, and we'll find out for sure in a few days."

In that moment I knew the house had always been mine, and like all relationships, had waited for me to see and affirm it. The owner asked me to call my husband over and when he arrived I finally got to see the back yard.
And so we bought the house before it went to market, in a good faith arrangement that had less to do with buying a house and more to do with the exchange of positions to caretake a sacred place. They left the dakini out front, and I found gifted feathers here and there over the next few years.

Sometimes I see people stop out front and gaze at the house. Now, in admiration for the love and care of how each rock was placed out back; or following the tiled angels and protectors around the periphery of the outside walls...

I silently put the word out to the wind, calling out to the next caretakers. May they hear that call and start walking.

Labels: , ,

11 Comments:

Blogger kario said...

Oooh, I have goosebumps! I love stories like this. How awesome that your spirit was receptive to what was calling it. I hope you find just the right people to buy it.

7:08 PM  
Blogger Deb Shucka said...

Amazing. This is similar to Carrie's story about finding her house. I'm goosebumping right along with Kari. I'll look forward to an equally compelling story about the new caretakers of this sacred space. I love your stories!

8:55 PM  
Blogger holly said...

Oh they are out there knowing without knowing that it has always been their's. Someone you haven't met but have always known.

Love getting to see your house in these pictures and writings. Now I need to see it for real.

12:46 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

What an amazing story. I am falling so in love with this house as you are honoring it in your leaving. What a wonderful first home for River.

My first thought reading this was, wow, there is SO much synchronicity in your life, Prema! But then I remember: it is there for anyone to find if they do the work, and you are one who has done so much work and opened herself like a blossom who is fully able to take in all the sunshine and rain the sky has to offer.

You are an inspiration!

6:42 AM  
Blogger Carrie Wilson Link said...

Prema,

I love everything about this posting and story. Amazing, but not so much, you know? The next chosen people will "find" the house, too.

love.

7:49 AM  
Blogger Amber said...

How can anyone hear this story and not believe in Spirit/Universe/God, who connects us? Wow.

I love your house. It looks just like a house I would love to live in, and feel I was finally "planted". I pray that just the right people will find their home here, as you did. And be healed and at peace and filled up!

And I hope I find mine, too.

:)

1:06 PM  
Blogger Paula said...

This is a beautiful tale, so well told. I am often amazed afresh how things happen for a reason. If we listen to intuition and don't dismiss it, there is so much to see and a clear purpose to our path.

7:03 AM  
Blogger Michelle O'Neil said...

Prema, thank you for this beautiful, affirming post!

The Universe says "YES!" all the time.

7:06 AM  
Blogger Jess said...

Yes, what everyone else said, especially Kim. It is always there, and *of course* you found it.

Fun to see how you honor your home as you're saying good-bye to it. Ther right people will most certainly come along to love it next.

Thanks for the tour. Does make me want to see it in person. :)

8:03 AM  
Blogger Jess said...

PS And yeah, before I even read these comments, I thought of Carrie's story about her house.

8:05 AM  
Blogger Go Mama said...

Sigh. What a beautiful story. So glad you got the house you wanted...and may your next dwelling be equally sacred...
Many blessings on your journey.

9:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home