RiversGrace

Navigating the Sacred and Mundane

Friday, April 13, 2007

Heart and Home



Packing and more packing....and it doesn't look like it. I've been thinking about consciousness studies the past few days while I take apart one sort of creation: home. Did you know that one can get an MA and a PhD in Consciousness Studies? I tried....then I got pregnant, and was secretly relieved to give it up. I would learn about the nature of the universe through mothering rather than through research.

As much as I love traveling and journeying, I also love traversing history - models of thought, scientific paradigms, psychological schools. What I have learned more than anything is that what we know about reality is mostly built upon assumptions. Assumptions that become belief and beliefs that become tenets of theories. Some thoughts become so core to a theory that, even though it's just an idea, it becomes like rock in order to support all the following research on top of it.

I like to wade down through it all and discover the seed idea. When I was in school I spent a lot of time researching and studying about notions of self - what we believe self to mean. This is very significant because science and psychology form a myriad of definitions about self and reality based on a few originating ideas. You'd be surprised.

One reason for my inquiry is that, as a therapist, I was tired of a 'paradigm of pathology'. The way we make the smallest behavioral veering pathological. According to who...and why....what is the standard of 'normal' that they are basing all this upon?

So....more on that. For now.....want to come over and hang out while I pack? Would you like some tea?

Labels: , ,

11 Comments:

Blogger Carrie Wilson Link said...

Yes, I want to come over and hang out! I want to personally wrap all the incredible candles, candle sticks and religious art! BUT, can we negotiate the tea?

5:17 PM  
Blogger kario said...

I would love to come over and hang out and contemplate all of these wondrous notions with you. Wish I could, but I haven't perfected the pesky technology of teleporting yet. Dang! Can't wait until you've moved and then I'll have no excuse to go see you all in PDX!

5:47 PM  
Blogger Suzy said...

I would LOVE to come over and hang out. I'm not good at packing, but I'm really good at watching others work, and I'm great company.
Maybe I'll drop in sometime when you're in Portland.
Love
Suzy

6:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Prema,

I think I just want to come over and sit in that sunlight there with you, and discuss this notion and source of the self. What a beautiful place for heart-work; so it seems from here.

Oh I'd help pack if I were closer to you! I've gotten quite good at it, with something like 13 moves in 19 years... :) Good luck ~ xo t

8:24 PM  
Blogger Jerri said...

Like Carrie, I don't want to watch, I want an excuse to handle the gorgeous pieces in your home. I want to nestle them in packing materials and ask about their stories. I want to work in that room and wallow in its depths.

6:31 AM  
Blogger Deb Shucka said...

It's sounding like a party. And what a conversation we could have trying to answer some of these questions. Since we can't be there to help you pack, hope you'll let us help you unpack when the time comes.

7:55 AM  
Blogger holly said...

Yeah...Oh I'd love to come over and drink tea while we talk and pack. Then shift from tea and talking and packing to just wine and talking, no packing ... the source of self, the source of light, the source of bubble wrap. whatever. just talk.

guess that will have to be the prescription for unpacking!

love the pictures - what a gorgeous room.

1:23 PM  
Blogger Michelle O'Neil said...

Yes. I'll be right there. I could sit in that beautiful room and chat with you for hours.

5:04 AM  
Blogger Jess said...

Of course I want to come over and help and talk to you while you pack and drink tea! Hmm, I was thinking of a road trip. Perfect. But, yes we will do the unpacking (obviously there are already plans afoot for that). It was so good to hear your voice today. Big love to you.

2:25 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

Absolutely, I would love to come. What a warm and wonderful feeling your home has--I look forward to seeing photos of the new one!

Wish I could be there to help!

12:26 PM  
Blogger Amber said...

Looking at your house, and stuff, and then reading your words...We are meant to be friends. I'm telling you. It is almost freaky.

So will you still need help on Sat?

:)

6:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home