RiversGrace

Navigating the Sacred and Mundane

Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Grace (Eventually)


I've been reading Anne Lamott's new book, Grace (Eventually) every night before bed. I read the first essay at a cafe next to the bookstore and gasped out loud, hit my knees laughing, wiped away tears, and belted out a hoot. This is why I love this woman. She says it all.

Saturday I stood amidst a pile of boxes, my house looking like a tornado hit, with a toddler who wouldn't nap, and a husband who decided to go hiking the day before the moving truck was due to arrive (whatever dude!). I shouted to myself: Go!
River finally dozed as we hit the bridge, and I started thinking about not going back home mid-way across the bay. An hour north, seriously deliberating altering the course of our lives for a week (or more), I hit the treshhold - an indiscriminate point where I knew I had to turn around or not look back. I turned around.

Late afternoon I met Steve at the park, handed off my child, and kept walking, the movement in me not nearly done. I had twenty minutes to myself. I paid $5 to log on and read Jerri's blog about seeing Anne Lammot. I found the publisher's website and scrolled to her appearance dates. She was reading that night at 7pm across the bay, forty minutes away. It was already 5:20pm.

I raced home, changed my shirt, ran out. No tending to details. No dinner prepared for the little one, no jammies laid out. I sped across the bridge again, called a good friend and coerced her to abandon her family, too, and meet me.

Full house, Anne comes out in jeans and a head cold. And - in a minute, in less than a minute, I am laughing. My back against the chair, finally support, and I feel all the fluid return to my eyes. Sisterns refill for right seeing.

God, how I love the way this woman opens herself for full revelation. Full-out vulnerable humanity. Funny. So funny and so endearing. She reads about jealousy and humiliation paired with hilarious attempts at hiding it, and finally the weave back where grace happens, self-compassion returns.

One thing the therapist said to me the other day. After an hour of telling my story, which was, really, so strange because I am not attached to it anymore, yet I am old enough now to see with some perspective. She furiously took notes, saying, Oh my god! Oh my god! every few minutes. At the end she said, "You know what this is, don't you?" I knew. She said, "You have to write it." I know, I have to write it.

So today, too tired to write at the cafe, I come home and take out a few sheets of paper. Pen in hand, I start with my childhood home and mind map it. Page after page, the anatomy of a neighborhood, where veins of storylines appear on the pavement.

11 Comments:

Blogger Suzy said...

Great post Prem. And yes, you have to write it. Damn those therapists!!

"After an hour of telling my story, which was, really, so strange because I am not attached to it anymore, yet I am old enough now to see with some perspective."

Great quote. I know exactly what you mean. For me, I became attached to it all over again, but in a different way.
Love
Suzy

4:24 AM  
Blogger Deb Shucka said...

Wow Prema. What a powerful piece. Yours always are. I'm excited for this re-beginning of your journey and looking forward to sharing it with you.

Holly and I saw Anne Lamott last night together and you were there with us. Her ability to speak truth in such a funny way is nothing short of miraculous.

9:55 AM  
Blogger holly said...

So glad you did this..

"the anatomy of a neighborhood, where veins of storylines appear on the pavement." NICE!

10:32 AM  
Blogger kario said...

I love that you dashed off to do something for yourself, Prema! I also love that you were able to dive into the writing of your story. Your words are so powerful and poetic that they need to be heard by many many more people.

4:31 PM  
Blogger Jerri said...

Can't remember when I've been as glad to read anything as I am to read that the therapist is encouraging you to write your story.

Your unique and loving take on the world will produce a stunning book, Prema.

Delighted. DeLIGHTed over here.

5:19 PM  
Blogger Carrie Wilson Link said...

LOVE Anne Lamott! LOVE that you went to see her spur-of-the-moment! LOVE that you didn't feed the little one or lay out jammies! LOVE everything about this post!

Go girl, go!

9:07 PM  
Blogger Ask Me Anything said...

This is a truly beautiful post. The last line is just the beginning--and what a gorgeous first/last line it is.

9:48 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

Fantastic--such a wonderful post, you've got my heart racing! Excellent work following the moment and your own inner movement. You are an inspiration!

And such beautiful writing, as always. I can't wait to read more.

1:40 PM  
Blogger Amber said...

Talk about honest and human? Ah, that would be YOU. ;)

Thank you for telling me about Anne! I am going to try hard to get there. I would love it as much as you, I know.


:)

5:50 PM  
Blogger Jenny said...

Isn't Anne Lamott great? So glad you got to attend one of her readings!

7:27 PM  
Blogger Jess said...

So glad you got to go see her. I am so jealous of everyone who got to go. It's the second time I've missed her here.

And yes, of course write the story. And yes, I love that last sentence, too...

Hope you're doing OK. Love you.

10:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home