RiversGrace

Navigating the Sacred and Mundane

Monday, March 19, 2007

The Great Mother


Driving backroads in Maine, ruby-red sunrise passes a fading full moon. Late July, 1986. I park. I board. I fly over that redness until yellow reigns in the sky; and me, I've got my face in my hands. Just like when I was a kid, playing with shards of light through fingers. I need to sleep but I can't sleep.

"Are you going home?" a woman in the middle seat asks.
"I'm going in that direction." But I don't know anything.
"I bet your mother is excited to see you," she smiles.
"My mother is dying. She may already be dead." Together we look out the window, clouds flat and grey.

Chicago O'Hare. I speed across a stretch of road where lines of black soil extend to the horizon. An hour later I arrive at Rockford Memorial, where I was born. Now I'm 19 standing over a hospital bed. Down below, gauze wraps her head to the brow; eyes are swollen shut, black and blue. I don't cry. I stopped crying about her a long time ago.

Despite the nurses discomfort, I set up my boom box and select Kitaro's India, continuous play. I unpack large pieces of amethyst crystal and place them in four corners. Two-day vigil.

We stand around her holding hands, my sisters both nine months pregnant and distraught. My father says good-bye to his wife of thirty-seven years. It's awkward - we don't know what to say really, what to do. But it's time to pull the plug.

The last time I saw her she screamed down the steps after me, "The only thing you're good for is to work at a Hallmark Store. You idiot, come back here!"

It was my first visit home from college in Vermont. In the living room together for an hour or two, I tell my parents that I want to go to India. Just like that she was at my throat again.

Since leaving her house I learned how to walk, and I walked out.

A month before she died we spoke on the phone, made amends, and I told her about numerologly - how the number 23 had been following me. Everything 23. I explained that it would be auspicious to see the number 25, an indication of soul growth. She thought I was weird. The last thing she ever said to me: "Well, I guess you'll have to keep an eye out for 25."

She fell over on July 23. Brain aneurism. She died on July 25 at 2:05pm.

I was motherless.

****


I felt motherless for most of my life. I didn't understand that feeling until I met my teacher. As a young devotee it became clear that I had found my spiritual mother.

And it became clear that somewhere in the beginning, way before this time, my mother and I agreed that she would simply get me here. That was the deal. I felt stranded for twenty years, waiting for one who would show me a true reflection of myself. And really, a split second later, she did arrive.

I was mothered.

****


In the past week, as I revolve around these two women, River has taken to calling me both names. In the mornings, first thing out of her mouth, "Prema. Prema....Pray-maa." I say, "To you I'm mama!" But she doesn't listen, just smiles and looks straight at me. "Prema. Prema. Prema."

I don't know which mother is trying to reach me....

Driving around the past few days River asks, "What do-een, Mama?"
"We're going to the park."
"No, mama, drive-een."
"Yes, you're right, sweetie, we're driving now."

Incessantly, she asks me what I am doing, moment by moment. And moment by moment she pulls me into the present. Soon, my words are present, too. As soon as my answers are accurate, she stops questioning.

Through forgiveness of the one who left me, and with a constant prayer to open to the one who raises my soul, I am becoming a mother.

10 Comments:

Blogger Michelle O'Neil said...

Wow Prema,

This really moved me. The whole mother/daughter relationship is so complex.

I love what you said about her "just getting you here," and finding other mothers along the way.

If you think about it like that, getting us here is enough.

Your biological mom was very beautiful. You look so much like her!

7:35 PM  
Blogger Deb Shucka said...

You do look very much like the woman who brought you here, and the child who will be come woman. Your writing alway takes my breath away. What an amazing journey you've been on and continue to travel. I'm honored to know you.

8:33 PM  
Blogger Jerri said...

A river of beauty flows through the women of your family.

A river of love flows through the women of your soul.

A River flows through you.

Blessings.

8:59 PM  
Blogger Suzy said...

Wow Prema. I am astounded and moved by this post as with all your others. So many words go straight to the heart- not easy words, but truthful words. I never truly understood the meaning of motherless, but I sure do now.
Your courage, grace and honesty are such an incredible example for all.
Love
Suzy

5:08 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

Oh Prema, this is so moving and beautiful. Mothering River must be illuminating so clearly all the love and care you did not receive from your biological mother, so for you to be finding forgiveness for her is wonderful work indeed. She did get you here, and we are so grateful for that.

Both of your mothers are beautiful, in such different ways. You embody the best of both.

And I can tell from every post and every moment I have spent with you that you are a wonderful mother.

8:27 AM  
Blogger kario said...

"Since leaving her house I learned how to walk" - I love this. And I would say that in the years since then, you have learned how to fly. Being motherless is so difficult for women and it becomes so much more painful as we become mothers ourselves. A journey fraught with promises not to abandon as we were abandoned - I can feel your struggle throughout your writing and am astonished at your perspective. Love.

10:16 AM  
Blogger Amber said...

Just like everyone has said-- wow! Very good stuff here. I could sit and talk with you for hours about these thoughts, Prema.

I love how River grounds you in the moment...It makes me think she is the mother of your soul, reminding you to stop and breath...To be. To BE.

You do look like your mom. I also look like my mom. It can bring up feelings...Interesting how we are forced to see and feel for the sake of growth here. Even small things, like having someone's eyes can move your soul.

Beautiful.

:)

5:31 PM  
Blogger Carrie Wilson Link said...

Wow, wow, wow. Can't add a thing to the above comments. I'm blown away by the story, the writing, the pain and the beauty!

love.

8:18 PM  
Blogger holly said...

Wow, Prem - you look so much like her. often i think about my mom: she did/does the best she could with true intentions. truer still, she "got me here" - love that perspective on it.



love.

10:53 PM  
Blogger Monica said...

Riveting. I can see the agreement between your mother and you to "just get me here." I'd never thought of that before. I'm pondering that for myself now that I read it.

I'm so happy for the line "I learned how to walk and I walked out the door." Yes, indeed you did. You walked into the search for your life - which included the search for mothering. And here you are.

Adding the picture of your mother was powerful for me. To state the obvious, she looks so much like you - or
rather, you look like her. But you aren't her at all.

Love you.

12:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home