RiversGrace

Navigating the Sacred and Mundane

Thursday, March 15, 2007

Calcutta. Now.



I found the videos. Charging the battery to the video camera, searching for the cables to plug it into the TV.

Pilgrimage. Eight hours of footage cracking open now.

In the midst of packing the first box to move from Berkeley to Portland, I ask myself why, suddenly, the journey seven years ago is so important to look back at now. That's the thing. I don't understand the non-linear web, just enough to know that I won't be looking back at all.

Something awaits that has to do with the beginning, all those childhood journals, the sitting manuscript on my desk, and the disassembling of one house in preparation for another. All now.

I turn this time thing in thought moments ago, as River stands on her step stool. She extends a hand and calls to me by name. But not by my name now. My childhood name. I stop. With my back to her, chills up my spine, I am caught in the web. I turn to face the smiling two year old (who has never heard that name repeated ever, anywhere) and stare. A bit frightened, I ask, "What did you say?" Still waiting for my hand she reaches out, "Step, step, jump," she says.

Grasshopper sees mama in ways mama can barely see.

13 Comments:

Blogger Suzy said...

Sounds like what awaits is a new beginning with all the wisdom from your past.

Grasshopper learned from mama.

All my love.
Suzy

4:27 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

Wow, that gave me chills. These little ones really do see, and have so much to show us. What an overwhelming but exciting time this must be. Ditto Suzy--you are on your way to a new beginning, rich with experience.

4:48 PM  
Blogger holly said...

Whoa, me too! That totally gave me chills. it's astounding the things they just know, without words, without definition, they are so open to everything and it's mind blowing when they spit it back out.

there's no "Looking back" but the past becomes the present... you're on a path.

"Step, step, jump!"

6:35 PM  
Blogger Jerri said...

I'm part of the goosebump club here.

Is there any rational explanation for her calling you by that name?

Doesn't matter, really. Step, step, jump, indeed.

12:10 AM  
Blogger Jess said...

Wow, that's amazing.... Yep, those little ones are tuned in.

Yes, a new beginning soon!

So good to read your words from here in Austin today.

11:51 AM  
Blogger kario said...

Keep going, Prema! You are on a roll! I love these posts, and I love that River is part of this, too.

10:31 PM  
Blogger Go Mama said...

Wow Prema, wow. Chills. Recognition. Knowing.

You know and she knows.

No accidents.

I finally checked in today after a long break. I wish you well on your journey...may it be abundant and flowing....a new pilgrimage...home.

10:34 PM  
Blogger Carrie Wilson Link said...

Oh my God! I hope this means that your next post is going to not only tell us your original name, but give some indication on how in the hell River knew it! If you tell me she's clairvoyant, I won't be surprised or disbelieving!

10:59 PM  
Blogger Go Mama said...

Now that I'm caught up to speed, the videos, the videos...did you watch the fertility video?

And?

11:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Prema, so much of this is like the feeling I had when moving from Berkeley to Portland -- that something awaits, and it's big, but at the moment, it is unknowable. That time is all screwed up right now, the way-past is mixing with the what-next in a crazy jumble, futures calling you by past names. I am so excited to see how this journey unfolds for you. From the looks of things, this is going to be one heck of a ride.

Blessings!
xo

5:07 PM  
Blogger Amber said...

This last line is a killer.

;)

4:51 PM  
Blogger Jenny said...

We move so much in this society...and just having gone through yet another one myself makes me realize that they so often aren't given the attention-slash-reflection they rightly deserve!

5:30 PM  
Blogger Monica said...

Astonishing and yet, again, not that River would know exactly who you are.

12:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home