RiversGrace

Navigating the Sacred and Mundane

Saturday, March 03, 2007

The Path



This work, the work, it takes it’s toll. Searching now for words, sun on the back of my head as I sit on the couch, dappled leaves dance across the coffee table. It’s takes just the right music (thanks Tracy) and I am walking that road to find new words. So many levels to hold at once, but that’s not what bothers me.

Carrie said it best. It’s a fog. Sometimes the best kind of contact is so impactful, everything rearranges internally, and I walk around in a fog for days. The writing workshop was way more than a writing workshop. It’s becoming something deeper. A path is widening out before us that we can hardly see, but we know we signed up for this wholeheartedly. I can’t think of anywhere I’d rather be than with this circle of women.

We scale a mountain where each step in traverse, every problem resolved, affects all of us, and together we ascend, agreeably connected. It takes a village.

And yet. The body aches, perhaps from crying in a way that I seldom allow. And that’s good, right? But the kick is that healing is not pleasurable, not comfortable. Really uncomfortable and really satisfying all at once. And for some reason, because I was raised like everyone to expect clearly delineated feelings of good and bad, striving for the good feeling, rejecting the bad, it takes awhile to accept that there is sometimes a very good marriage between the unpleasurable and the good.

Surviving abuse is a gnarly business. Some places in me – hard as steel, stubborn as silence. That’s what got me through…and now, it takes skillful finesse to open those doors for all the best reasons.

Last night, the tyranny of terrible twos asleep upstairs, I sat alone, feeling into the fog, and then, suddenly, I heard it coming. Before I could run to the doorway, the earthquake rolled under me, the boom in the belly of the core far below came alive. If you live in California you always know it’s there. Terrifying to watch your favorite photograph of yourself thrown off the shelf. River screams through the monitor, “Mama, cared…cared!” I’m scared, too, and I leap the stairs, three at a time, to comfort my little one.

That lifts the fog – good when the outside movement matches the inside movement. I dream that I have twin girls and I search for hours to find the right names, study them like math equations – Talulah and Imogen.

This work, the writing of things I do not want to say, leaves me bereft of feeling this morning, as I push my husband off. Not a shred of pleasure. He says sorry. At my back, arms around me, “I want it to go the way you want it to go.”

In the shower, after small limbs make their way out the door with Daddy, I rest against the wall. Water helps. And I know I am ok. Where there were always empty lots of land, now seedlings sprout. I realize that it’s not his fault, and not only that, it’s my responsibility to find the pleasure that’s missing. So I do. And that makes me happy. The unpleasurable with the good - healing happens. No beginning, no end. Healing is as close and alive as my next breath – a spiral of lifeforce spreading into realms, a thousand directions. I’m on my way - always and continuously, devotedly, unabashedly, on the journey.

11 Comments:

Blogger Deb Shucka said...

Prema, thank you for saying exactly what I'm feeling right now. Your words are balm as I nurse the ripped place my own words came from today. I am in awe of your gift and again honored to be in your circle. Love.

2:04 PM  
Blogger Carrie Wilson Link said...

You describe it all perfectly. Thank you.

love.

5:38 PM  
Blogger Jess said...

I love this post. And you are combining your beautiful language with more of your body! You describe so much of my own experience this week, actually my own experience today. So well said.

"Really uncomfortable and really satisfying all at once."

Yeah.

10:18 PM  
Blogger Jerri said...

"I’m on my way - always and continuously, devotedly, unabashedly, on the journey."

Yes, just Yes!

You're taking River, too, you know. In the terrible twos she wakes to an earthquake and names her emotion. "Cared." Good for her! Hurray for you for giving her that skill.

One small thing, though. Are you horning in on my assignment? Just checking. ;-O

1:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your writing is very powerful. I don't know what to say, except that your words move me. Thank you.

3:48 AM  
Blogger kario said...

I love the "tyranny of terrible twos" - so real and spoken so perfectly. We are all with you on this journey, Prema. Soothe yourself with the balms you need to continue it and we'll be by your side.

I am so pleased to have been part of the circle...

8:37 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

This is so beautifully written, so raw and honest and lovely. I love that photo of you too--it brings me right back to that room I wish I could visit again as time puts it further away. But the tremendous power of this circle won't let it recede! Something I never expected to feel.

I am moved by Catbird Scout's comment, too. You are both glowing lights on this sometimes dark path--and there are so many other lights before and behind you, so take comfort.

6:48 PM  
Blogger Monica said...

Prema, you are right, absolutely right, that healing, coming alive, is the most painful process. And isn't it true that we all want to avoid it? I do. But you are too brave to avoid it and I LOVE THIS PIECE. And from your strength, I gather strength.

Bravo, Prema. You are never, never alone in healing.

8:31 PM  
Blogger jennifer said...

Love 'hard as steel, stubborn as silence."

Your writing your boat...your experiences become the wind in your sails.

9:44 PM  
Blogger Suzy said...

"This work, the work, it takes it’s toll." Oh yes indeed it does.
But I have never met anyone who has met this head on with more grace and insight than you my friend, and I am proud to call you friend.

2:43 PM  
Blogger Amber said...

This journey back from where you were taken without permission...it IS hard.
And it is holy.
...So many women I have sat and talked with about it. And it is always different, and always the same. Always.

You are brave and wonderful! You write it down, and give others permission to feel it, also. I adore that.

oxox
:)

11:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home