RiversGrace

Navigating the Sacred and Mundane

Monday, March 05, 2007

In the Body



Oprah's laughing it up with a panel of women over fifty. Fabulous. Woopin about aging and real beauty and luxurious sex. Seasoned women. Four marriages, more laughter. They all laugh at every question. Oprah asks whether they care what people think about them anymore. Silence. They all crack up laughing.

A woman asks, "What's going to happen as I age?"

"It's all coming. It's all coming down the way."

A doctor says, "Yes, you will eventually lose your pubic hair and the hair under your arms, too." Oprah throws up her arms and they all cheer, "Yea!"

They move on to vaginal dryness. Bent over laughing now, the doctor says, "Astroglide is a great thing, and it's just exciting to have it by your bed...if no one is there to help you, it's ok to help yourself."

It is advised: You have to approach the second half of life with gusto.

Anne Lamott says, "When I'm eighty I'm going to regret every moment that I didn't love myself sooner." Dreadlocks and beautiful, so clear.

Today, all day, circumambulating my calling, I call it closer. And it's all about the body. Being in the body and being awake since the beginning. Transcribing it all inside for a day when I would finally unpack it and let it be beautiful.

9 Comments:

Blogger kario said...

I LOVE THIS!!! I love how you are getting these messages and internalizing them and adding their wisdom to your journey.

Love yourself and your body. Terrific writing, Prema. I am so honored to be witnessing this. You are amazing.

8:39 PM  
Blogger Deb Shucka said...

Oh, Prema. I had to just sit with that incredible picture before I could even get to your words. And then I didn't know whether to laugh or cry, so I did both. Astroglide and Anne Lamott - what a delicious combo. Thank you for inspiring me.

8:40 PM  
Blogger Carrie Wilson Link said...

Thanks for both a laugh and a deep reflection.

6:31 AM  
Blogger Suzy said...

Believe it or not, the 50's are great.....

7:52 AM  
Blogger Jerri said...

Thanks for telling us about this. I'll watch for it in reruns.

Annie's right. (She usually is.) We will regret every moment before we realized how precious we, with all our flaws, truly are.

Get yourself in front of a mirror, girl. You are beautiful in every possible way.

So's your writing.

7:59 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

There is so much wisdom and inspiration to be found, from the most sacred Tibetan nuns to the fabulous laughing ladies on Oprah! I love that you are able to access all of it with such grace and appreciation.

11:05 AM  
Blogger Julie Kay said...

Simply Divine.
Blesings
J

6:45 PM  
Blogger Monica said...

Prema, this is terrific writing. I'm following along, laughing along with the women on Oprah, and then the last paragraph just clobbers me. Brilliant.

10:25 PM  
Blogger Amber said...

I use to think I couldn't wait to get older. My young years sucked so hard, I thought give me the older years! Please!

And I still kind of feel like that. Only no wI just hope I HAVE "older years". LOL! And I am not as graceful with the aging as I thought I would be, it turns out. Huh.

So I like this attitude. I want more role models that make me feel good about the years to come. And God, if Anne right on! No shit. What will have been the point of all that time we could have been finding joy?

Beautiful as always.

:)

11:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home