RiversGrace

Navigating the Sacred and Mundane

Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Love.



After all was said and done, I lay in the dark with River, time for night night. In the quiet I wonder if I should tell her what I am feeling. Yes.

I confide, "River, I like being your mama." I say it like a woman.

From the one who barely strings words together, tonight a strand of pearls. "Mama, I wike bean River." She says it like a wise one.

And it's one of those moments, roles fall away. Just darkness and silence and strong feeling. We slip from time and this could be any place, just now or our last lifetime.



So full we turn toward each other, giddy.

Tiny hands grab my cheeks, and she kisses.
"Tank you, Mama. Tank you."

Love.

7 Comments:

Blogger Jerri said...

Wrap this memory in scraps of red silk and store it in a quiet corner of your heart, P. Its warmth will glow through the decades, comforting you any time you curl your fingers around it.

It's been nearly 22 years since my then-three-year-old son threw himself into my arms and pronounced, "Momma, my SO glad we adopted me!" I still remember what he was wearing and how his eyes glowed.

5:46 PM  
Blogger Jess said...

So so sweet. You are blessed, and she is even more blessed. What a perfect moment (and what a cute picture, too).

4:04 AM  
Blogger Michelle O'Neil said...

Thank you Prema.

Love.

7:13 AM  
Blogger Julie Kay said...

Precious. The world would be a better place with more mama's like you. Keep on allowing - and sharing the love!
J

8:20 AM  
Blogger Carrie Wilson Link said...

"I like being River," it doesn't get any better than that. If the whole world liked being themselves, we'd have no issues! Take an A!

love.

7:16 AM  
Blogger Jenny said...

I love your daughter's response - how wonderful.

11:11 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

That is so beautiful, I have tears in my eyes. I shiver in anticipation for the time when my daughter can string her own pearls together.

8:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home