RiversGrace

Navigating the Sacred and Mundane

Monday, March 12, 2007

The Vagina Monologues



At the Vagina Monologues the other night, first tears. The story - a seventy-two year old woman is interviewed about her vagina. She has never, in all her years, had an organsm. She finds her way to therapy, and with the compassionate encouragement of her therapist, goes home one night, lights candles around her bathtub, turns off the lights, undresses herself. Entering the water, she sits. And then....she enters a world she did not know was there before. Her body.

When she finds her clitoris, finally, she cries. Cries and cries and cries. Pleasure.

God grant me the serenity to accept the things that I cannot change
The courage to change the things that I can
The wisdom to know the difference

Can't find the words, feeling so saturated in the sensation of being. I just let India Arie guide my boat. Over and over and over, she sings, I want to love with an open heart.

On my fifth bladder infection, now down with a sore throat. Physical pain is a doorway, too. All the great texts say: pain and pleasure, the same attachment.

So I contemplate the middle door. Open this one and, ah, relief. Acceptance of what is. That's not denial. Great action is happening, it's all about the source from which it comes. Swimming into the presence of this moment, just this one, I am at peace.

Clear presence, possibly the highest expression of love. Self and other, no distinction. And the pain recedes - whatever that story is, a resolution is writing itself.

For all the sexual violence, may we take back our bodies one day at a time. Without waiting for someone else to give the gift, may we find ourselves with incredible generosity.

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Something about how and where you employ the word "great" always moves me, catches on my soul. In this instance, "Great action is happening." In a previous post, "great falling." It all sounds like prayer to me, Prema, such a full word, such beautiful cadence.

I love that you allow that the pain has its own story, its own cycle, and "a resolution is writing itself." No attachment. Lovely.

Always so moved by your writing, Prema. Thank you for sharing your gifts. xo

8:33 PM  
Blogger riversgrace said...

Thank you, Tracy. You sing to me when I write...and that takes me there.

9:30 PM  
Blogger Deb Shucka said...

I am in awe of your amazing ability to get so deeply to the core of a thing with such beauty and grace.

10:04 PM  
Blogger kario said...

May we all continue to find the strength to open that middle door. Thank you for your gentle reminder that it's all worthwhile on this journey, pain, pleasure, all of it. Let's take our bodies back!

10:14 PM  
Blogger Amber said...

I hear you and I feel you, my friend.

So much I could say. But I don't think I have to...

I pray for you to be lifted in Light.

:)

11:15 PM  
Blogger Jerri said...

Beautiful, Prema. Always beautiful. I read your words and "swim into this moment" and know you write the truest kind of prayers.

I love the way Amber put it: May you be lifted in Light.

12:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not much I can add to all of the above. So well said, as always.

I will say though, that I have that Georgia O'Keefe painting up in my bedroom. Got it at a gallery in Santa Fe, love it, love the colors. Its fits so well in this post. Now I can think of you and what you said here when I look at it. :)

2:39 AM  
Blogger Suzy said...

Wow Prema. You take us places we can't describe. Your writings are prayers. Thank you.

5:51 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

I have read this at least three times. Your words just wash over me with beauty, every time, no matter what the subject or mood. To repeat everyone, they really do feel like prayers. I'm sorry about the pain you're feeling, but you have a wonderful way of being with it. It is such an inspiration. The middle door...I am not going to forget that one.

11:00 AM  
Blogger Michelle O'Neil said...

Beautiful.

7:29 AM  
Blogger Carrie Wilson Link said...

Ditto everyone.

love.

8:18 AM  
Blogger holly said...

ditto, ditto all the dittos
so good to catch up on your blog

6:44 PM  
Blogger Go Mama said...

"...may we take back our bodies one day at a time. Without waiting for someone else to give the gift, may we find ourselves with incredible generosity."

Om to that!

And for you as well. Your body is overwhelmed. Acidophilus (probiotics) and rest and self love.

Peace.

11:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home