RiversGrace

Navigating the Sacred and Mundane

Sunday, February 18, 2007

The Secret



Like so many others, I've been thinking about The Secret intensely for the last week. Friends has emailed me about it for many months, but it wasn't until my sister called from the road to say that I had to listen the audio CD that I paid attention. Then Oprah featured it on her show last week, with a follow up show this week. In the meantime, I ordered the DVD and made my husband sit down and watch it with me.

Days before The Secret wave hit, I began a liver cleanse, went to a detox center for an infrared sauna and colon hydrotherapy. was on my way to clearing out toxins in the body, changing my habits of eating, when I listened to The Secret.

Might as well have the intention to shift all levels of the system at once. Only, I didn't really intend it that way. I just started with one firm intention....but so strong is the law of attraction that the next steps appeared clearly before me.

People in my web, some from far out strands, contacted me about The Secret. When I mentioned it to others, almost everyone said that their relatives or friends had already mentioned it to them. And so the conversation continued.

The information is not new. So why the strong response? I just feel open and attracted.

For a day or two I notice how I find myself pulled toward other, familiar states of being. Anger. Frustration. I see how I have the script perfectly in place to accompany those feelings - usually with a qualifyer that says 'it's always going to be this way.' The difference being, now I look at that thought/feeling and think, "Huh, interesting. Why do I actually want to believe that?"

Even though what is clearing out has some force to it - afterall, these are my long-standing survival skills, still, it's good to be centered in the strong conviction that I am what I have always, since I could first vision myself, seen in my heart. Now it's about allowing. Allowing. Not efforting because I don't really believe. But allowing myself to flow in right relationship with all things.

It doesn't mean that ungraceful ways of being go away. Balance is balance, light and dark. It's just being firmly planted in love rather than fear. It's not static. It's the willness to return again and again...and again to that place of love. Make it home base. Let it lead.

Despite genetics, childhood wounds, and poor adult choices, what's true about our soul has always been true, and will be true throughout our days. Step into that boat.

So the paradox: yes, suffering does exist in this body, in this life. And all the great teachers and teachings encourage: Accept the conditions and love. Love as much as possible. Love isn't fluffy. Love can pierce a life so radically that we never recover - it's the best kind of wound. To be taken by something greater than what we presently understand.

Looking over to the couch where River tumbles off the arm, onto the pillows below, I caution, "Be careful, sweetie!" "No! Mama. No. Mine!" Turning back to the screen, I see her radiant future, with the full-view knowledge that anything can happen along the way.

Ok, so we put one foot in front of the other. Doing our best to watch for all good road signs.

4 Comments:

Blogger Michelle O'Neil said...

Love is homebase! This is great.

8:09 AM  
Blogger Carrie Wilson Link said...

Michelle said what I was going to say! So, ditto! Love Michelle! Love you! Love this post! Period!

8:36 AM  
Blogger Ask Me Anything said...

such a similar path...just completed 4 week cleanse...just saw The Secret a few weeks before... trying so hard not to try so hard.

Terrific post.

2:54 PM  
Blogger Amber said...

Perfectly said!

For MONTHS people have been telling me about The Secret-- friends, and strangers I chat up in a coffee shop. I kept thinking I should watch it! Then I watched Oprah, and it has just been everywhere. I was going to watch it on line tonight.

You are right that the lessons are nothing new. It is a little funny how it seems so many people have only heard these ideas and truths for the first time. Dose NO ONE listen to Hay House, or read Wayne Dyer? LOL!

But I need the reminding, just like you. I need to maybe think of it all from different points, or hear it in different voices. I need to really think about what I am calling to myself with some of my fear. (Ya' know what I'm sayin'? I knew you would).

oxox :)

7:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home