RiversGrace

Navigating the Sacred and Mundane

Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Divine Sadness



New moon, 0% full.

This coffee house full of energy: toddlers tumble on a rug behind me, hipsters walk in for their joe, and here's me at the back table. Middle-aged yuppy with headset, soaking my new favorite rendition of Om Namah Shivaya

Out the front window, across the street, a gravel alley rises between the backs of houses. That's where I'm walking and thinking, gathering my vision to be with and not avoid discomfort. What is all the discomfort in returning from retreat?

The first day back home and I could still feel my own body, my heart. I could feel myself authentically. Day two, I notice the quality of separation - just allowing my husband to have his own anxiety, to not look at me or talk to me. It was ok.

Day three I feel the fatigue of choppy sleep, the weight of not being able share my joy. Doesn't that sound ironic? Sad because I cannot share my joy, he's not interested.

It's the juxtaposition of feeling so alive, so open, truly myself, and the silent drive home from the airport. Days unfold, nowhere to put a drop of joy. We talk bills and arrangements and details. I drink more coffee than I should, eat pasta on purpose, pull out hidden stashes of chocolate to the front of the shelf. I try to share my week but I can see in the eyes, no receptors. I cannot, for the life of me, figure it out.

But it's so familiar.

When I was in high school, one night after a fight with my mother, I ran to a park and cried under a tree. I talked out loud to God, very true prayers. My father had followed me and stood in the wings of another tree, listening to my pleas. When he revealed himself, he tried everything to distract me and change my mood. There we were, so intimately close with the heart of things, and he could not be with it, couldn't just be with himself in that space, or with me.

I stood next to that man in church for 18 years and we never shared an experience of the divine together. Together.

God knows how I was born into a midwest family with a tantric heart! It's been true from the beginning - I experienced the divine in everything. In the middle of the pulse of everything. When I discovered words like scintillating, sublime, luminescent, I already knew them. That light was my seeing. Right there in my back yard, shimmering radiance.

Through the years I've grown in my understanding of tantra - it has very little to do with sex, sometimes nothing at all. It does have everything to do with a co-mingling, a relational dance with the Self, where we come to identify more and more with its qualities. We mustn't mistake another for the divine, and yet, it is through seeing the divine within the 'other' that we recognize its reflection within ourselves. That's a key experience - having a true reflection.

Is it wrong to depend upon it? Yes. Is it wrong to long for it? Maybe. Is it wrong to want to share that kind of love? No.

I thoroughly understand my pattern of sadness. How sad I get that my partner does not, cannot, will not, should not, meet me where I am at. I get that it's not his fault. I'm considering the possibility that I manufacture the whole thing because it supports a habit (especially with a primary other) that I have known my whole life.

But where's the line? Is it natural to hope for that kind of partnership?

Just watching my self-esteem wither. I begin to take that disinterest personally and then don't want to hear from myself either. I look in the mirror for evidence and decide to gain more weight. I'm reading a new book in bed about a young man who learns tantra from a yogini master. Steve asks what I am reading but it's too late. "Just a book I got."

I would never be able to write it if I didn't have compassion for the way I compose a core issue. There is shame for how quickly I resume it after such a beautiful week of liberation from it.

Underneath and around it all, I have the strength to see clearly, so I am not being pulled under by the story.....just seeing how I weave it all together, and how I lose myself so well.

What it comes down to in the end is that it's a waste of time. And that's how the sadness turns to anger. I get so frustrated and angry that I walk around feeling sad. Enough already, what a waste of time! There's so much more that I need to do with my life.

10 Comments:

Blogger Jerri said...

If you find that line, call or e-mail. Immediately, please.

I've spent more than a decade asking myself if I want too much from a partner, if it's natural to hope for that kind of partnership.

At my age and stage of life, it's been fairly simple to walk away from relationships that didn't seem to give me places to share joy. I, too, have wondered--many times--if I manufactured situations that supported habit or to be "right" about what I expected.

You are so right about the bottom line. So right.

12:06 PM  
Blogger Jess said...

Well, at my age and stage of life, I think it's totally reasonable to want that much from a partner. *You* tell me I can have that. So.

I love this post, the truth of it. Returning from so completely seen as a spiritual/aware being, and being with those who can't go there with you. Hmm, reminds me of the phone conversation I just had.

I agree, the bottom line is you don't have time for the story, but you do have time to watch yourself, your patterns, your highs and lows, and see how they all work.

And you do have time for good coffee.

Thanks for the part about tantra. :)

10:12 PM  
Blogger hg said...

"I have the strength to see clearly, so I am not being pulled under by the story.....just seeing how I weave it all together, and how I lose myself so well." - Beautifully put.

I wonder, does the real work, for all of us lie not in seeing clearly but in following the vision. That's where I find to falling away from my self, in the gap between what I see and what I do.

2:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As usual, your sharing takes me on a journey. I've been traveling into the realm of how transformative intimate relationship can be. I've been traveling in my own memory of agony over the possibility that my husband and I may never find a place to connect in our difference. I've been traveling in the realm of intention wondering, do you have any agreements with your husband about learning, growing, changing, even if his way is not yours? Does he have a way?

As a woman who needed spiritual retreat to remember myself whole, especially in the early years of mothering, I began noticing that being on retreat developed awareness and tools while coming home, being home, was an opportunity to practice. I wish you gentleness. Blessings, Staci

1:49 PM  
Blogger Go Mama said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

1:57 PM  
Blogger kario said...

Oh, Prema. The examination, the living of the story, the telling of it - none of it is a waste of time. The time that is spent examining and understanding and telling the story is all important. You may feel as though you've been here before over and over again, but the difference is that you've never seen it from this particular vantage point before.

The energy and honesty with which you approach your every day life are so inspiring. I am sorry you are hurting and I want you to know that I am sending you love and light. Trust yourself to walk this path and know that it is leading somewhere. The truth will not lead you astray.

Love.

8:47 PM  
Blogger Carrie Wilson Link said...

No accidents that I am just now reading this, just when I so "get" just what you are saying. I know both the loneliness within a marriage that you describe, and the joy of finding it within another relationship, that is not, nor can ever be your partner. If the two were to come together, what would I have to bitch about? I'll probably never know, but I know that there is great learning in that paradox.

1:06 AM  
Blogger Amber said...

I don't think it is wanting too much. I could be wrong, but I don't. I think it woudl be a beautiful, amazing thing to share this passion and understanding of Spirit and self.

Our roads are a little different, and yet I get this longing. It may surprise you(not) that Kory is not really a spiritual or faith led person. And this is a HUGE part of who I am, as you kind of know. He's not even as interested as our six year old! So it is an area that I wish were different for us. I wouldn't even mind if he followed a different faith, but it is the...take it or leave it attitude that I just can't undestand! How, I wonder? How did I end up with someone like this?
...And after fifteen years, I know it is as it should be. This is my journey, and that is his. Maybe I need someone not so intense this way. I'm sure I do.And he respects me and this part of me. That is a lot. ot all husbands would like their girl to take a weekend here and there at a monastery, or taking vacation time to build houses in Mexico. He had no friends whose women did this stuff. LOL! Bless his heart, then. ;)

I'm sure that didn't help you at all! Well. I'm happy your time away was good for you. Try and hold on to it, friend.

((you))

:)

8:53 PM  
Blogger Michelle O'Neil said...

"Sad because I cannot share my joy."

But you can share your joy. With those who understand.

We're listening Prema.

We're here.

Love.

6:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm with Michelle on this one. I appreciate this deep and honest inquiry, and share with you not only the struggle to find a partner to meet me where I am, but to find within myself the capacity to meet significant others where they are as well.
xo t

11:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home