RiversGrace

Navigating the Sacred and Mundane

Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Motherhood & Resurrection



Yesterday I started the morning off by spilling a toddler potty full of pee down the front of me. Followed that up with phone calls to insurance underwriters, mortgage companies, credit card people, and the tax assessor’s office. Then I dumped hot coffee in my lap.

In between, the girl held tight to my belt loops, whined and screamed, and finally melted down completely because her favorite horse broke his leg (well, she snapped it like a twig, but you understand, tragic).

“Can you reinstate our policy?” with “Excuse me, yes, River, I’ll get a band-aid for the horsey,” with “So we have no car insurance?” with “Alright, alright, be quiet, mommy is trying to talk!” with “Hey, I have ten bills here I need to send out, we have three days to figure it out.” with “Honey, I’m sorry, I’m sorry, mommy hasn’t been paying attention to you. I’m sorry.”

“You my friend?” she asks, tilted head to the sky, to me, pink around the eyes. I wipe tears and kiss her cheek. “You my family?” she continues.

Yes. I am your friend. I am your family. I get down on the ground with her. “You a woman, momma?” Yes, River. I’m a woman.

This is how I stray so far out and this is how I come back. My teacher, she's two.

“I want the hokey pokey!” she demands from the back seat, pink fleece hat surrounds blue pools of light, and straps down under the chin. I turn five to ten times in traffic, all the way to school, just to see that face. As sleep deprived as I am, on my own waterwheel all night, she pulls the light up past all the weariness and, light to light, we go into the day.

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger Jerri said...

We all struggle with bills and phone calls and insurance companies. But that's just the top layer of our lives.

Beneath all that, connecting us to the ground beneath our feet, is the knowledge of who we are.

River knows this because you have taught her.

11:27 AM  
Blogger hg said...

Light to light, we go into the day. - gorgeous.

ditto Jerri - not that I would have thought to put it that way, but I definitely couldn't have said it better.

11:38 AM  
Blogger Carrie Wilson Link said...

Yea, what Jerri said.

12:47 PM  
Blogger Go Mama said...

Sounds like a perfect day on the waterwheel, hehe!

3:09 PM  
Blogger kario said...

There is nothing more grounding than a child, is there? What a gift to River that you are able to recognize the importance of what she's asking you and respond to it in a way that benefits both of you.

Love.

9:14 PM  
Blogger Michelle O'Neil said...

The hokey pokey!

That is what it's all about you know.

5:21 AM  
Blogger Jess said...

Yep, they are the best teachers.

And yep, what Jerri said. Perfect.

Big love to you.

4:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home