RiversGrace

Navigating the Sacred and Mundane

Saturday, November 10, 2007

Motherhood & Spirituality



When you google 'motherhood and spirituality' very little happens. The trail is not a main thoroughfare, not even a clear pathway. You'll find a few Christian strands that taper into the woods, a random blog that lists these two words in a post, and short references to a mother deity here and there.

All those nights during River’s first year, I googled in the dark, and came up with nothing. Nowhere to go. Nowhere to rest in maternal wisdom. No map to help me find my way.

So I went to bookstores and browsed the shelves. Surely there would be an entire section on Motherhood and Spirituality. Not one book. I searched Amazon and found a few, and had to order on-line. I did more extensive searches under similar keywords, every creative combination I could think of. Every now and then I would find a needle in the haystack.

What sleep-deprived new mother has the time to investigate in this way? And why are spiritual resources so scarce?

At first I was surprised. Then confused. Angry after awhile. And then from its absence, what was not there became a powerful force, blinding in the way that, as a mother, I could feel so disconnected from the primal meaning in the process.

Women birth more than four million babies every year in the United States. Why is there not an abundance of spiritual havens for us?

Why, when in the middle of our lives we perform the closest act of death and resurrection, is there not a center on every corner like Starbucks to welcome our wisdom and hold our heads?

I could ask what that is about. What’s that about? would feel good to say, but I already know what that’s all about – it’s one of the oldest and longest stories on the planet about forgetting.

I'm not interested in the forgetting part anymore. I simply want to provide a welcoming place for women to arrive. So I'm editing my book River's Grace: Navigating the Sacred and Mundane in Motherhood. It's a book of letters to my daughter, River, written during the first year of her life. It's part spiritual memoir with topics, teachings, and blessings. It's a deep-hearted conversation about all the things no one ever told me about mothering - I mean the insane depths and heights of it that we all walk around with.....can you imagine if your mother sat you down and told you the truth of it? The way you tip over edges and come undone and are lifted into spaces of redemption that you had no idea were available in the middle of simple moments. It's about all that, and how to traverse the spiritual aspects in the midst of daily minutia.

I'm also developing a corresponding website RiversGrace that will be a haven for women and mothers (and men, too).
ha·ven:
1.a harbor or port.
2.any place of shelter and safety; refuge; asylum.
–verb (used with object)
3.to shelter, as in a haven.

Also, I'm developing a workshop series for pregnancy, birthing, and mothering.

Through all these channels I want to reframe motherhood as pilgrimage. Motherhood as initiation. Sadly, our culture has lost that memory, but it's ok because the deeper journey is alive and well, just behind this moment, just inside every other feeling we know.

Join me as I find the form and the space and the clarity to manifest the vision....

Labels:

12 Comments:

Blogger Yehudi said...

I enjoyed reading through your blog...you might like mine. Actually, I have 2...Jewish Pride, and Auto Broker. I invite you over to take a look at both and see what you think! :)

9:32 AM  
Blogger Amber said...

Wonderful. Beautiful. Needed.
Shouldn't growing and giving life be thought of as maybe THE most sacred, spiritual event?? I am afraid we have just removed ourselves so much from the idea of it. Even the process of birth is managed to death-- mostly by men. *sigh*

I think you would like the newest issue of SageWoman. You can find it at Powells, I am sure. This issue is about the Goddess/Mother, and all things mother/spiritual.

:)

10:58 PM  
Blogger Carrie Wilson Link said...

Yea! I am so happy to hear you are doing this! You are the next needle in a haystack for many! Journey mercies and lots of love. Period.

7:05 AM  
Blogger kario said...

Wahoo! I am so thrilled that you're working on the book! I, too, have spent frustrating periods of time trying to find some spiritual wisdom out there to share with my children. This is so perfect for you and I can only imagine how incredibly helpful it will be for other mothers.

Love.

1:21 PM  
Blogger Jerri said...

Oh, P. I am SO happy to hear that you're working on the book again. From the heard bits and pieces I've heard and read, I know that book is needed in this world.

Blessings for this journey.

6:56 AM  
Blogger hg said...

Raising a glass (of orange juice) to you.

Blessing as you go.

11:41 AM  
Blogger Go Mama said...

yes!

3:03 PM  
Blogger Michelle O'Neil said...

Beautiful Prema.

I'm holding your vision.

5:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

for inspiration, try www.mamarenew.ca

11:48 AM  
Blogger AZAR108 said...

Thank You
YOu have brought to light a great need amongst us mothers to share the spiritual growth of mothering...namaste.

4:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

For a long time motherhood and spirituality have been separated paths for me. I was conflicted between my love of God and the love of my children. I realise now there is no need to separate the too. I can love God by loving my children and in loving my children I am loving God. Motherhood too is a spiritual path, one that offers many challenges and much opportunity for soul growth. Motherhood in itself can be an act of service to God.

1:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been doing the similar search on motherhood as a spiritual path - and started blogging too to acknowledge this huge transformation we undergo as mothers. I look forward to your book... my blog is www.unraveledword.wordpress.com - glad i found your blog as well!

11:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home