RiversGrace

Navigating the Sacred and Mundane

Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Perfect Post Award



She says, "I need to get off the phone, my little people are freaking out."

Pressing my earpiece into one ear so that I can hear above this coffee house echo, straining to catch her words in the scuffle of little girl squeals, we go over edits. "Take out the in that sentence and it will read better, " I sort of whisper and sort of shout. But she's not there, "Shit, a bowl just shattered, hold on." Once we resume, another sentence into it and she says, "Huh? I can't hear you, I'm trying to serve noodles and set up the TV for them, can you say that again?" And I do, smiling to myself, reminded that this is just another traveling adventure - writing in the midst of motherhood.

This is why I especially love Holly, and this fuels my respect and appreciation for her skill in getting to the heart of the matter on the page. It's always like this for her: work till midnight, kids all day, bills stacked. She doesn't even have a bedroom. When the kids go down, she sleeps on the couch. If she sleeps. Mostly, she sails on out of that small place after midnight, and finds a wedge of freedom in the writing.

I'm nominating Holly for the August Perfect Post award

Accepting an invitation from her writing teacher to explore the experience of a kiss, she wrote the most amazing blog post. Aside from capturing the magic, what's more incredible is that it's about her husband - and they've been separated for a year now. Difficult enough for anyone in love to conjure the beautiful acuity of that sensation - how does she do it from where she stands? Because she's a great writer.

Join me in celebrating her post My Teacher's Teacher

If you want to find out more about the Perfect Post awards, or to read other nominated blog posts, go on over to Suburban Turmoil or Petroville

6 Comments:

Blogger holly said...

Thanks for the nomination and beautiful tribute m'dear. YOu totally rock.

Now. Let's go get some wine and run through these edits in tranquility.

1:42 PM  
Blogger Jerri said...

Great idea, Prema. As a writer and as a woman, Holly is someone to admire. Someone to learn from, too.

As are you.

8:39 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

Hear hear for the amazing post, writer, mother, woman.

10:09 AM  
Blogger kario said...

You're right, Prema. That post was absolutely gorgeous. I have no idea how she did it, either. I'm just glad she did!

11:00 AM  
Blogger Jess said...

Yep, gorgeous writing, truly. No surprise though.

I was going to do the kiss exercise too, but then I (and Holly) decided that was not advisable.

Yep, Holly rocks. Can I add a nomination for best friend of the year, too?

And, can I say how ridiculously blessed I feel to have you both so close now? Yes, I can.

See you tomorrow. :)

7:20 PM  
Blogger Carrie Wilson Link said...

It takes one to know one.

8:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home