RiversGrace

Navigating the Sacred and Mundane

Wednesday, November 07, 2007

River Spirit



If there is a river and if I’ve been dreaming real….I’m on it, in it, hearing the slap of soft water on the sides of my boat.

Undulations. Up through the flats of my feet, cradling my coccyx with hands of water. Cradle the bed at the base of my spine until, from that place, I am a gently waving fan.

That’s a great feeling: waving to the landscape as an intimate beloved. Not any other today. Not different from, far from, away from. Right now, I’m real in real time.

I’ve been tending to my vision lately - digging and shaping, watering and sleeping beside the steaming earth of it. Mineral spirits rise up. A million little suction cups of light on my cells, faster than sound, so silent, just fresh air on my body. Tender because I’ve been working my stuff so hard for so long.

Our visions, the deepest ones, are imbued with compassion. They wait for us to come closer, with full realization of the distance it takes to make our way back.

Vision is not developed. I believe we all carry one central vision inside us, the blueprint like the acorn to the blazing oak. Isn’t it true that we mistake vision to be so difficult to cultivate? Really, it’s about developing the skill of shifting awareness, sometimes just a tad, and then, poof, the veil drops and we are united with it again (or finally). It’s about seeing through what isn’t there so that we can see what is truly there.

I know my vision. One theorist says some of us will fail miserably at everything except that which expresses our vision. We can be aware of our vision as an image, a defining word, a sound – like the rest of nature, like the divine – it has a myriad of faces – the thousand faces of god. One of those is our own true face.

Do you know yours? Would you recognize it if it was revealed to you?

I imagine that when we cross over and leave the body, we might be shown our essential image, both entirely universal and also extremely particular, and asked, “Is this you?” As a password we would resound clearly, “Yes.”

Or would we? Would we look behind us for someone else -are they really speaking to us? What if we don’t know the texture of our own being?

I can’t think of anything worse. But that’s me. I want to know. I want to know so much that I have forsaken every other form of success. And so my resume reflects emptiness, large gaps, years amiss. Of course, I could have done it another way but I didn’t know that and that’s just how it is – we have to live it just the way we do.

Remember the bathroom floor scene in Eat, Pray, Love? Wouldn’t it be so redeeming to list those experiences on a resume – all of our down and out conversations with god? This hotel tub at 17, that mountain house floor at 20, the dirt road in India at 23, the cold house of divorce at 29, the purging in the dark of that hut at 35.

This is where I put in the hours, paid my dues. The promotions being more complex environments, depths of material to traverse, and realms of existential loneliness that just aren't fair.

And during those years I learned to hide. I went underground with my experience. It doesn’t really fly for potluck conversation and family dinners. The horrible question I came to outrun: What do you do?

“I seek out the seed of truth at the bottom of my personal barrel and tackle practices to help me weave it into universal wisdom and meaning. What do you do?”

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not graceful. I’m not especially wise. It’s just that I have experience being on that journey. Love writing and sharing about it. I love how I know deeply that metaphor is not metaphor at all. I love transcribing that.

Now it’s all changing. I’m coming out of the closet. Maybe it’s entering my forth decade and it’s not suitable to hide anymore – like watching an old women take off her shoes at airport security. I hate having to watch. Please, respect her dignity, don’t make her do that!

I’m beginning to honor myself. Walk on through, Prema. Don’t take off your damn shoes anymore. Just speak your truth. Speak in your language. Give it up for the soul of it.

(and if they do ridicule and stone me, I have women around me who would kick their ass!)

So, my dear friends, I’m preparing the ground, getting ready to launch, hanging my sign, and opening doors. Big wide doors. Big sign. Huge welcoming hands waving at the landscape. A million suction cups of light floating my wings.

7 Comments:

Blogger pigandpanda said...

I love how you can put words to intangibles and they taste like fruit. This is beautiful and I'll be the first to step through those big wide doors!

8:06 PM  
Blogger kario said...

Such courage! I am breathless with anticipation. While your story doesn't really 'fly' at potluck dinners, it is one of those things that will speak to others for a much longer time than the few minutes it would take you to utter the words at a party.

Love and light.

9:11 PM  
Blogger Go Mama said...

Well alright then! Open the doors and come on out...and if you need someone to kick some ass, you know who to call!

Love this:
“I seek out the seed of truth at the bottom of my personal barrel and tackle practices to help me weave it into universal wisdom and meaning. What do you do?”

Go girl. Take your turn.

11:58 PM  
Blogger Carrie Wilson Link said...

Ditto everyone else. OMG, Prema, OMG! You never, ever fail to shake me to the core with your incredible writing. Shake, in a good way, in a profound way, in a permanent way. I almost hope you get ridiculed and stoned just so I can be one of the MANY women there kicking some SERIOUS ass! Sign me up!

6:26 AM  
Blogger Amber said...

Umm, I think you are wise and graceful, Prem. And I have so much respect for your honesty. It inspires me not to hide. It inspires me to ride the white water of my own journey...Every time I think it is smooth sailing, around the bend is more rough water. And I find myself trying to ride it with as little bother to others as possible, with as many manners as possible. And it stifles me.
How stupid.
...So thank you for being here. Just being you.

ox :)

9:34 AM  
Blogger Jess said...

Can I be first in line to kick some ass if anyone gives you any shit?

I think there's a reason it took me a few days to find time to get to this. Now, at this moment, I needed to read it. Actually, I feel like you wrote this for me. Of course you didn't, but this is why I am so glad to be on this path with you now. Because I don't know if there is any part of this at all that I don't completely relate to. And, I am so excited for you right now. It's all coming. :)

I got my grandmother to read Eat Pray Love. She's loving it, is all about coming to Portland to see Liz Gilbert in April. Love that.

I love the line Go Mama quoted about what you do. Nailed that.

Love this post. Might need to put it on the wall or something.

8:18 PM  
Blogger Jerri said...

The bottom of your personal barrel seems like a damn fine place to be, if this post is any indicator.

You got it right in this one, Prema. Especially when you said you have women who would kick ass. Count me in.

Hang on to those shoes, Girl. Throw the door open wide to let the Light in.

5:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home