RiversGrace

Navigating the Sacred and Mundane

Thursday, October 11, 2007

Streaming...


I'm streaming in from a disparate night channel, where I was left this morning at the edge of my bed, edge of water, edge of something that knows me when I have forgotten myself. And it's good when after hours of struggling to wake up, to wake up others, to find our way into the day, that fifteen miles across town when I sit at a table, random, look out the window, lost, Holly walks in, smiling, "Thought I'd find you here," as she unpacks her laptop.

This table, our buoy, we sail side by side. Eight stories due this week, she’s cranking, and when I look over to catch the shape of her movement, I see. She’s alive. Over the top of silver screens, I say, “You look alive now.” She nods, scribbles notes, we don’t have to complete sentences. Thank god.

If I could write I would say that I’m falling apart. I’ve always been falling apart.

Days ago, my sister says when I was born it was all so touch and go, life and death. The door swung back and forth, back and forth, no one knew if I was coming or going.

It's always a kaleidescope, me falling between shifting colors, dimensions flowering and decomposing, second by second. Day by day. Between cereal and euphoric glimpses, one turn. Between black holes and crumbling cliffs, another turn.

“Dad worked long hours but every night he went to the hospital to be with you. Even after mom came home, late at night, night after night, he returned. ‘That’s my girl, I gotta go,’ he’d tell us, dropping us at grandma’s. As soon as he left she made us get down on our knees. Lacking faith she still commanded, “Even horses drop to their knees, you can do it, too. Come on, let’s pray for that baby.”

“In the din of incubators, the wet nurse held you to her breast, while you held dad’s pinky finger. You fit in his palm, that’s how small, that’s how unsure we were. When you finally came home it took awhile, nothing was fully formed.”

“Don’t you see? You were a gem…”

********

In an old Christian church I listen to the Gayatri mantra. Deva Premal haunts the walls with Sanskrit syllables and it’s perfect. The looming, stain-glass figured Jesus leans from the ceiling and blesses the holy wave, he parts the waters of convention and tradition and practice for his old friend, Indian devotional song. I hold my face in my hands, feeling Jesus in the warmth and smell of flesh, my own breath against all that mercy, full of thanks, full of relief, emptying all the tension of opposites. I listen to the reverb at the core of vocal strands, each impulse of love pushing molecules so beautifully they strike like a match, strands dissolve into the harmonics of chords, my body, from my body, the wave lifts to meet her……and, finally, through all the anger, I let it in.

Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you. I can’t open my eyes. I can’t part from the space of light, delicate respite. But I have to eventually open to receive how the reds weave with sound. My Tibetan rug holds all the musicians. I wonder at the sight – just what these rugs were made for, to honor worship, to adorn the practices, to behold what cannot be seen and make it flourish with pattern.

Jess and I lug the rug into my car at 1am the night before. Candles, vases, plants, shawls, silks – I walk around the house and remove them from their place. I don’t know why, but I know I’m being called. I know the call.

We’re setting up the stage, preparing the space, welcoming. I wait for Jess in the basement. Deva Premal walks in and straight for me. She opens long arms twenty feet away and I feel the space gathering, and then the embrace. I look behind me to find someone else, but she's coming for me. She enfolds and doesn’t let go. And doesn’t let go. I want to let go and she whispers, “Thank you so much for being here.” I can't let it happen, “I’m here because of my rug.” She releases enough to see my eyes and smiles, “Oh, it’s much more than that.” And then I’m telling her that I listened to her chant as I wrote the book, during that entire year, blasting beautiful voice in my headset, eyes on my baby, writing. I had forgotten, but it’s as if she hasn’t forgotten. “Your book is important. Do your work.”

(to be continued...)

11 Comments:

Blogger Jerri said...

Lots of grace and beauty here for a woman who "can't write."

I feel compelled to echo Deva: Your book is important. Your voice is important. You are important.

1:11 PM  
Blogger Suzy said...

And you are, most definitely a gem.

Suzy

6:00 PM  
Blogger Deb Shucka said...

I'm goose-bumpy here. Listen to this lady. Your book is important, because you are and what you have to say is.

6:10 PM  
Blogger Jess said...

I knew when she was giving you that hug. Of course. Of course she sees you and knows you and knows your work is important. Of course.

Your rug is beautiful, but no, you were not just there for your rug. :)

Your writing, very honestly, is beautiful no matter what's going on around you. And if you need to fall apart, do it. We are here.

This makes me want to go back and write more about the concert. I've been meaning to.

Love.

11:30 PM  
Blogger holly said...

You are a gem. Remember.It's the force of water, being tos sed in the river, thrown and tumbled that polishes stones to brilliant smooth. And forget.

absolutely amazing stuff here for someone who wasn't really writing. So glad you had the time this morning to do this.

4:26 AM  
Blogger kario said...

Thank you for letting your voice come out again. Thank you for sharing this difficult time and letting the light and music in. The words are raw and as they flow over me (your words always do) I feel little burrs catching in my skin.

Sending love and warmth and hope that you can find more opportunities to let the words out. You may not be able to write, but the words are seeking a way out and they will write themselves.

Love.

8:26 AM  
Blogger Carrie Wilson Link said...

Key-rist! For someone that is falling, you are sure doing one helluva job holding your reader in the palm of your hand, much like the one you fit in when you were first born. You've got the goods, Prema, even at your "worst." Everything about you is important, everything. You're hear for a reason, Deva isn't the only one that sees that when she looks at you!

love.

8:15 PM  
Blogger Michelle O'Neil said...

You are here and you are important.

4:02 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

I have to reiterate the thoughtful words of others: you are a true gem, a kaleidescope of colors and dimensions and emotions, every side rich with spirit, glistening with beauty and inspiration even when you may not be feeling it.

Your book is important. You are important. And you will make it through this.

Sending you love.

11:03 AM  
Blogger Go Mama said...

"It's always a kaleidescope, me falling between shifting colors, dimensions flowering and decomposing, second by second. Day by day.

I don’t know why, but I know I’m being called. I know the call."

It is not in the falling apart that is interesting, it is in the freefall itself...the loosening of expectations, the surrender of what was, to what truly is, and how we deal with what is upon us that is, at its crux, the most thrilling, alive, and inspired moments of life experience. You my dear Prema, walk this fine edge in all its pain and glory, and as you do it reminds us of the thrill of living, of being fully alive.

Your words themselves transcend space and time...free falling...into a sort of kalaidescope of pain and reverence, blurry and beckoning, striving, for that is where true beauty lives.

"If I could write," my ass!

You write more life into your once a month non-writing than others write in 100 revisions of logic.

That, my dear IS your work, your gift.

Carry on....sending big love from over here!

11:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Prema, I love this post. I love the way you find yourself with words, even when you feel you're lost and can't write. I love the way you hold yourself with music, and the connections to Deva Premal, and of course the ever-present River. You are such a treasure. Yes, do your work, your beautiful, important work! xo t

8:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home