RiversGrace

Navigating the Sacred and Mundane

Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Happy Birthday, River



Dear River,

You are three.

I wanted to post that newborn photo of you in the purple fairy dress but I can’t find it. I had hoped to record your entry into the day, they way you would laugh when I sang you awake. Catching the wave of wonder together, the wonder of being alive, we’d feel warm and safe. Your birthday! Yea. But the camcorder is dead, can’t find the power cord.

You fought the waking and my expectations with screams and kicks, and I totally understand. Only one second ahead of you, more desperate for normalcy than anything, I hold up a perky dress, the pink floral summer one, and pray that it’ll pass the test.

It doesn’t.

We have thirty minutes to dress, eat breakfast, bake gluten-free, dairy-free, soy-free cookies, make a picture board full of your photos for all the kids to see.

No time to shower for me, just whip on jeans, brush my teeth too hard, glance, passable, glance, pain, apply mascara, rose the cheeks, glimmer on the lips, and I don’t want any of it this morning.

And then, just as the flashbacks drive down the main street of memory, your intensifying screams turn it all into a movie in fast-forward. That quality of screaming and choking, breath catching in staccato moans, and I pull the cookies out of the oven. My childhood is not your childhood, a mantra in three parts.

Not hopeful, now I want it all to stop. And it doesn’t stop. Trying to help, your dad attempts to put on your shoes. Writhing screams on the floor and I paste photos onto poster board. Thirty minutes late.

We drive in silence, walk down the corridor in silence, hand over the goods to the teacher and leave. Turning back to look in the window, you are smiling. Your teacher gives you a hug, says Happy Birthday, and holds up your photos.

Something lifts and all is well in your world. Just like that, pain to pleasure, to hell and back. Fog all around the house this morning, all the way to school, and now, clouds part for the sun.

Easy to let it all bring me down, as far as I want to go. That's tempting. Harder and better to let life work on me, water over stone for a thousand years, to form a new portrait of what celebration can include.

7 Comments:

Blogger Go Mama said...

Yikes! Sounds like you need a birthday beverage!
Like, stat!

Big breathers and hugs to you both as you celebrate another milestone on the path. I swear it gets easier. Eventually.

Right?

2:16 PM  
Blogger kario said...

Ahh, the sweet elasticity of youth. I love their resilience and ability to remain truly open to the next moment, the next experience. I hope that you found the rest of your day more peaceful.

Love.

8:50 PM  
Blogger Carrie Wilson Link said...

Key-rist. TFBS having to do all that in a morning! TFBS! Why weren't YOU the one screaming?

love.

8:34 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

My god, you are a great writer.

Ditto Carrie, I'm so sorry for all the stress, but sometimes I am so affected by the power and inspiration of your writing that I almost forget that you had to live those moments to write them. I'm sending you good wishes for some well-deserved peace!

And happy birthday, sweet River.

4:34 PM  
Blogger Amber said...

They never seem to take it as personally as we do, do they?

Happy Birthday to River!

(((hugs to mom)))

:)

5:59 PM  
Blogger holly said...

ditto kim.

thatsays it perfectly!

7:06 PM  
Blogger Jess said...

Yep, what Kim said. And I love how fast she can let go of things, though I get how it's hard the other way, too.

Glad I got to wish her a happy birthday in person, glad she has enough horsies to last her a lifetime, and glad she has decided she can love (or at least hug) more than one person at a time.

Very cute picture.

11:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home