RiversGrace

Navigating the Sacred and Mundane

Thursday, November 15, 2007

Mothering the Writer

Hours awake in the night, so many of us aren't sleeping lately, and we can't really know why. Easy to think it's due to this or that, but there's nothing like the dark of the middle of the night to open wider realms of wonder. If we are all connected, if only by so many strands of technology, streaming waves of information, then we course in the blood veins of a larger body. Who knows what's keeping us awake these days.

In line for coffee this morning, the guy next to me says to the barista, "Man, I took Benadryl to sleep last night and I'm zoning this morning, just didn't sleep well." One double, half decaf latte in the tray, the decaf soy waiting for a shot, I say, "Lots of us aren't sleeping so well." Espresso swirls through clear, boiled water in the third cup, and he laughs, "Yeah, like a thousand years of solitude, what's that book?" Easy does it, I lift the tray, "One hundred years, but you're right, in the night it can feel like a thousand."

He watches me in the parking lot, pretending not to, and that's ok, I'm watching him, too. We both know, unadmittedly and surely, that we love each other in this moment. And we both know we will continue onward, smoke trails crossing, mingling for a mile of thought. This is how we get through the morning of the night, where we find and pick up our humanity when we are still uncertain in the waking what we belong to in the world.

We belong to each other. We all belong to each other.

My manuscript sits to my left on the table. Writing beside it is just about as close as I can get. I drove across town to share work space with my friends, one of whom is behind me in her studio, grappling with a canvas and walls full of shelves, full of paints. On her way out she laughs, "All I can think about is the dirty windows in the studio, geez, anything to distract!" Her husband is in the office off the living room. Over lunch yesterday he said, "I have twelve or thirteen hours left, tops, to finish my book." But how long would that take?

I told of the story of working with a trauma therapist who, kneeling beside my standing, asked me to look down at my feet. In a hint of a glance to meet his eyes, he understood something unspeakable, unnameable, and whispered, "I know, it's a long way down, but you can do it."
That gesture can take a life time.

Time and space and what it takes to do our work in the world. How much courage to simply show up.

I read a blog post yesterday from a woman, a mother, who describes how she gave the finger to Anne Lamott's Operating Instructions on the shelf at a bookstore, having not yet read it. She resented anyone else trying to tell her something about motherhood. How could anyone else possibly know her experience? She finally brought herself to read it and, thirty-six hours later, felt so met and so connected. And she understood that she was just afraid. Afraid because a woman, another mother, was writing - someone else was actually living her dream. When she could open her heart to the truth she could finally read and participate and belong. Then she could take the steps to put her writing out there in the world.

I read in the silence and safety of my living room, still asking, Who am I to speak of spiritual life? Who am I to have the audacity to speak to the spiritual meaning in motherhood? Who am I to perceive into and behind the patterns of daily minutia and connect that to mythic memory? Who gives that kind of permission?

Through my headset, Lori McKenna (Paper wings and halo) serenades the question. I climb into her voice and feel so grateful that she took that chance to get up from her kitchen table, mother of five, to sing to the world.

With a car seat full of bills, piles of laundry strewn in extra rooms at home, I'm just sitting with the question of the possibility of a viable life as a writer.

I close my eyes and Lori and I go back, way way back. We walk down a hallway with olive green walls and old family photos crookedly hanging. At the end, the last door, we walk through and find her sitting on her bed, eight years old, with her first journal spread open over her lap. She's writing. She's writing and crying, even then, so much into the depth of the world, so much karma to hold and look into, and she does, alone, bless that girl.

"Come on, sweet one, come with us." We take her by the hand and lead her down that long, long hallway of her life. "We've got something to show you......"

In a second we arrive at a door, a bright red door, 76th and Powell, 2007. Lori strums and sings and I turn the handle. The young girl looks inside, there's a woman sitting at a table, laptop open, headset in, and she asks, "Is that my mother?"

"No, honey.......she's you." The woman looks up, she hears us, music to music, the same, face to face, the same, years disappear with the notes, words heal the miles and the trials and all the doubt that was born through that journey. I say to the small one, "Go ahead, go to her, sit with her, you've got something to do together....."

I scoot my chair back and open my arms. She's me and my daughter and I'm me and my mother, and sitting on one lap now, we're one.

The manuscript sits to our left on the table. Small hands open the cover page, she looks up at me and says, "I wrote this," and I embrace her through tears, "Yes, you did, and I'm so proud of you for that." Smiles and I see that she's unafraid now, unashamed, happy and true. "Will you help me with it?" we ask each other.

"As long as it takes, I will, yes," two voices glide, two octaves, at once in harmony.

Labels:

9 Comments:

Blogger Jerri said...

You are you to write of spirituality and mothering? With all apologies to Marianne Williamson, Prem, who are you NOT to?

How could you not use the talent you've shown here?How could you back away from sharing your Self with those of us who need your Light.

Hold that little girl's hand. Lift your voices together. Sing your book into being, right along with life.

2:17 PM  
Blogger Jerri said...

The first line should read "Who are you...."

Proofread THEN Publish, Jerri

2:19 PM  
Blogger Go Mama said...

After the all the hemming and hawing and mulling and turning and twisting yourself into knots, running away and returning to it again and again, then comes the commitment.

After that, it's just the doing of the thing. Nose down, heart open, just the doing of it.

Then comes surrender...to all the people out there and the voices in your head that had higher expectations than you can possibly live up to, that you will most likely disappoint given the ridiculously narrow time and budget and life and perspective-at-the-time constraints. But you do it anyway. You just keep going.

And then, not necessarily when you are done but when time's up or you just can't look at it one second longer, you set it free, release your baby into the world, and it takes on a life of its own, a life you can only imagine but can't know for sure since there are no guarantees. All there is, is just the hope and the wish to connect through expressed experience, to be received, embraced, accepted.

And that is the life of living your truth: having the balls to face your fears, to muster up the courage to tell your story, do your work, and be the truth that you already are in what you put forth.

Some say it is a thing of magic. Some say it is a thing of luck or talent. I say it is a thing of commitment, of doing it anyway, and of having the balls to be courageous, fearless, to step forward despite all the anxiety, and worry, not to mention the lack of sleep, and get it done.

This is who you are Prem. You are being called. Step up and answer it.

Who gives you that kind of permission?

YOU DO!

Now go kick some ass...go prem, go

I know you are already brilliant!

3:37 PM  
Blogger riversgrace said...

You rock, T. Thanks for this dose of soul.

4:16 PM  
Blogger kario said...

I love that women from the past and present are speaking to you as you continue this journey. Your voice will be among those who guide others.

Love and gratitude, Prema. Love and gratitude.

7:51 PM  
Blogger Jess said...

Beautiful post. Can't really beat what Go Mama had to say. I want to savor the post, and that comment, too.

I love reading your process, and I love that listening to Lori was part of it. You are grateful for her words, her voice, just as people will be (and already are) grateful for yours.

Big Love.

1:22 AM  
Blogger Carrie Wilson Link said...

Love, love and more love, Prem!

6:57 PM  
Blogger Amber said...

I just love you. I love your voice. I love that you speak so many of my own truths... I love that we are not alone, and that we are provided with connections.

:)

9:56 AM  
Blogger Suzy said...

I am grateful for this connection to you Prema.

Love.

Suzy

7:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home