RiversGrace

Navigating the Sacred and Mundane

Monday, November 19, 2007

Saving Grace



I threw out my back after running out of River's room and kicking the wall. Do I tell the chiropractor that?

In the shower, massaging the bruise on my ankle, I see the title for the second book. Down the River: Motherhood as Pilgrimage.

In the juxtaposition between shame and hope, I have a thought. Spirituality in regards to motherhood, or possibly anything, is not about how we maintain our practices in a steady way. It's about how we return after we've fallen.

Every journey takes us where we don't want to go, in a second or an hour or for years at a time. And that's ok. Just on the other side of lost is return.

Labels:

8 Comments:

Blogger Michelle O'Neil said...

Love. Prema.

5:33 PM  
Blogger Carrie Wilson Link said...

God, I love you!

8:44 PM  
Blogger hg said...

me, too! Love you!!!

7:35 AM  
Blogger Suzy said...

Nothing but love for you Prema.

Suzy

7:50 AM  
Blogger kario said...

You are exactly right. Who would need spirituality if we were consistent all of the time? The safe haven it provides is what makes it such a beautiful place to be after we've kicked one too many walls.

Love.

10:33 AM  
Blogger Amber said...

Aww, Prem. "It's about how we return after we've fallen."-- How true, how true, how true. And thank God it is true. This way we can kick some walls-- (or in my case, yell too much)...And still continue to learn and be forgiven, and forgive ourselves.

Thank you.

:)

8:52 PM  
Blogger Go Mama said...

Down the River: Motherhood as Pilgrimage...

Yes!

Conscious motherhood-even more than a spiritual practice we could abandon when it got dicey- forces us to return again and again even when we are lost, depleted, beyond frustrated, because of the demanding and immediate nature of it and the commitment we made to another's safe passage into life.

It's big!

11:30 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

This is a perfect crystal of pure truth, hope, beauty, faith. Thank you for this--I plan to print it out and keep it as a gentle reminder.

And I will read anything you want to write, anytime!

4:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home