RiversGrace

Navigating the Sacred and Mundane

Saturday, July 21, 2007

Cloud Cover


I turn around to look at the view, cloud cover then waves of green below. My new home. Nothing feels like home, nothing looks like home. This is the constant in all the change. I left a marriage the last time I lived here. Now I contemplate the same as I arrive. Makes it difficult to unpack. It's that uncomfortable. The whole thing is a tired, painful exercise.

Too tired......too blue.....too confused to write.

I should try to unpack it all in the writing. How I control and organize everything into the shape of a family and a life. And then I hate it because it's all......manufactured. Any intelligent person would drop the disappointment after the thousandth revolution of that wheel. Not me. It's the easiest, fastest sadness, more visceral that anything else.

If I was not attached to the desire 'to be met' by the man in my life, my marriage would be fine. It's good enough. Good man, good daily life. But it's a direct line, direct shot, to a much deeper wound, and that's the complication.....and the perfection. Truly, my chance at liberation exists right here, right now. I know it.....and yet....it gets worse because I watch myself fall so simply into despair. The condition of the environment - it gets to me every time.

And that's about me. In the scenario, this is always the conclusion. No matter what, the pain I choose to experience is mine and about me. Sometimes the insight is enough to generate a fire in my belly. I find my groove and feel better. I find myself again. Sometimes, the same awareness tips me into depression. The quiet, slowly isolating kind, where I forget my name and I forget how to find my way home. I lose my vision.

All the necessities are unpacked. In one small room upstairs three tall boxes remain taped shut: 1. Sacred Items, Fabrics, Icons 2. Prema's Writing Books 3. Spiritual books, Silks, Journals. I sit on the twin bed in the dark, tracing the shape of Tara's green gorgeousness, as she extends to the edge of the carved teak frame. So far, this is my favorite room.

River naps on the couch in the living room, arms outstretched, angel wings. She traverses the days by stating, "Mama, I a big girl!" when she wants to achieve a sense of independence. When the attempt falls short she hangs her head and comes to me. "Mama, I not a big girl...."

Isn't it so sweet and so heartbreaking.......all the becoming.

Two of my favorite plants sit in the garage, half dead. Grand and thriving at the other house, they didn't fare well in the move. The smaller plants made it but these grandmothers, towering beauties, show the impact of the journey. Like me. At the base, green goodness; furthest from the center, limbs are torn and brown.

Time to trim back what doesn't remain. Let the old life go. Make room for a new start to have a chance.

8 Comments:

Blogger kario said...

Wow - Prema, this is so wonderful. I love the alliance of your dilemma with River's frustrations and the metaphor of the plants.

I hope your new start takes that chance you're giving it and finds itself nourished by wells deeper than it ever imagined.

Love.

8:52 PM  
Blogger holly said...

"At the base, green goodness; furthest from the center, limbs are torn and brown." MMM. Seems wrong to focus on the gorgeous writing here, and impossible not to.

Pull out the clippers and prune away everything like a sculptor would, chopping away everything that isn't there until what takes shape is you.

And, breathe.

love to you.

5:47 AM  
Blogger Suzy said...

Oh Prema, your writing leaves me speechless. So much beauty comes from you, your insight into yourself and the life you build around you.
"Any intelligent person would drop the disappointment after the thousandth revolution of that wheel."
Women warriors such as yourself keep turning the wheel because it does move, slowly, but it moves and that's the curse and the gift. You make it move.
So much Love,
Suzy

4:14 PM  
Blogger Michelle O'Neil said...

May you get some rest soon.

Love.

6:36 PM  
Blogger Amber said...

You have the answers inside you, no mattter if they cause fire in the belly or the darker moments of the mind. The only reason it works you over so, is because you are a mommy, and you are thinking of River-- what is best for her. It is not only your world you are trying to make whole, but hers as well. That is something mothres do. We are last, and our hearts walk around trying to decide to be big or small girls...

so much love and peace, my friend.

:)

4:52 PM  
Blogger Go Mama said...

I FEEL you. It's so hard sometimes, circumnavigating the pit. Even though we know it's there, even though we know better than to fall, beaten down by various challenges we are sometimes too weak to prevent the fall.

So fall a bit, fully knowing it's you, but it's not really you. It's the old you popping back up out of weakness. Don't judge yourself, nurture yourself instead and you will get back up.

You need rest, healing, rejuvenation. You need your silks, your sacred touchstones, and your words around you, or Rumi's words, or anyone else's words who can provide you some comfort.

Mainly, you need to be gentle with yourself while you connect to your green goodness and begin to sprout again. For your green, though dormant, is surely within.

I so understand this place....and like the cloud cover you allude to, it will pass.

I send you many blessings for I know your brilliance too.

With love and care....

5:55 PM  
Blogger Carrie Wilson Link said...

"The smaller plants made it but these grandmothers, towering beauties, show the impact of the journey. Like me. At the base, green goodness; furthest from the center, limbs are torn and brown." YES! I resonate with this so well! Is it that we are feeling the collective pain of women/mothers/wives, or is there genuine, personal torn and brown aspects in us that must be cut awy, and we'll be back to our green goodness? If you figure it out, let me know!

6:06 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

This is beautiful. I love "all the becoming"--for both of you, girl and woman.

6:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home