RiversGrace

Navigating the Sacred and Mundane

Thursday, June 28, 2007

Sensation of Seeing


I finally found time for myself........sunrise. Perfect. I've been walking off the weight of things, stepping out of the need to reduce my life to manageable patterns. Looking instead to the intelligent patterns all around.
The love I have for this decade, this place, these people........I came here to go to hell and back, this time for healing. Who is it that will hold your head all night while you learn to breathe anew? Who takes you deep into the woods and keeps watch while you come utterly undone, then sings Amazing Grace over you for hours as you find the faith to reemerge? Who do you find beside you at the meditation retreat when the lights come up, full of that god-look glance that speaks to all the years of friendship?
I never wanted to live in California. But that's what life does - we ask for teachings, are lifted from our lives and delivered. I left a marriage one day in Portland, eleven years ago, and the next day my father died while I packed up. That night I dreamt an old medicine woman placed a feather over my heart, explaining why she had to seer it into my skin. In the morning I drove away in the rain to California.
My deepest gratitude with the gold light of morning. It's been a hell of a ride. A thousand thanks all around. It's not about becoming anything anymore - that's been worked out. Not that I have any clearer understanding of how to name what it is I do in the world. It just doesn't matter what I call it or what it sounds like to others. Weary and weathered and wrinkled, sore joints along the road now, and I'm really content with the release of all the stereotypes.

Perhaps this is the first move since I began all the movement where I am not going after something, going to be someone, after some attainment of knowledge or experience. Folding laundry for the trip, gathering sippy cups and a cache of tiny farm animals, I close out another chapter and turn slowly toward the north. One question guides my path: How may I be in service?
The Pacific Northwest is calling my name. With arms outstretched, listening carefully, I pull out the map for the journey.

8 Comments:

Blogger Carrie Wilson Link said...

Gorgeous. Gorgeous photos, gorgeous writing, gorgeous questions, qorgeous answers!

The PNW is calling your name, and so are your "sisters." We've got some ideas how you may be of service, too, so watch out!

7:49 PM  
Blogger Go Mama said...

>>Perhaps this is the first move since I began all the movement where I am not going after something, going to be someone, after some attainment of knowledge or experience. Folding laundry for the trip, gathering sippy cups and a cache of tiny farm animals, I close out another chapter and turn slowly toward the north. One question guides my path: How may I be in service?<<


Om.

What a beautiful place to be.

You already serve many...with many more to come.

Many Blessings.

9:59 PM  
Blogger hg said...

MMMMM.

Yea!

Beautiful. What a beautiful piece to wake up to! Thank You! Ok, I read it last night too, but still. Such a beautiful piece to start the day.

8:03 AM  
Blogger Jerri said...

Like Holly, I'm back for a second helping of this beauty. I can't wait to see what steps into your waiting arms in the Great NW, the great unknown, this new territory.

8:38 AM  
Blogger kario said...

Come to Mama! Love that you're moving back, I love that you're moving toward something instead of away from it. I hope the trip is filled with a sense of hope and peace and opportunity. Safe travels, friend.

9:52 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

Here I am, yet another person who basked in this post last night and came back this morning for another beautiful view.

You are able to weave chills of excitement into such serene words and mood. So lovely.

Have a wonderful trip!

6:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Every word you write is a service, a balm, a piece of that light you love so well. It shines right through you, Prema, and becomes more beautiful after you have touched it.
xo t

2:36 PM  
Blogger Jess said...

Yes, your words are service, they are a gift. Beautiful.

"Perhaps this is the first move since I began all the movement where I am not going after something, going to be someone, after some attainment of knowledge or experience." Love this.

And although my current journey is certainly one where I am seeking some knowledge, I relate to what you're saying because I feel like for the first time I am just allowing things, being open. Not seeking in an overly active way. Just receiving what comes.

I think we will both get what we need in the months to come...

Love you.

10:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home