RiversGrace

Navigating the Sacred and Mundane

Saturday, May 05, 2007

Conscious Evolution


Picasso's Old Guitarist hung above my mother's ratty chair in the family room all my life. A crowning mantle on her throne, she painted black walls to surround, with thick black carpet under foot. Large black beams jutted up across the ceiling, holding up the roof. Between the beams, white paint, enough to keep your eyes upward, ever open to the possibility of heaven.

After all the lights were out, who wanted to get up alone and wander down the hall to the bathroom? Not me. The ghostly figure, crucified like dead Jesus, always hovered above my mother's drunken head. She'd fall asleep with a lit cigarette more nights than not, red glow in the black room burning to her fingers. I wanted desperately to help but the white kitchen linoleum was a moat that required more than my supply of courage to cross. The oreos were in the scary antique armoire, middle drawer, at the edge of the kitchen. I'd reach across from the hallway, put my finger in the deep key hole and pull it open. I was sure the creaky, haunted sound would wake her, so I grabbed fast and ran back to bed in the dark. Oreos under covers, better than fear. That kind of sensation in the dark, cream against the roof of my mouth, crumbs spilling on nerve endings across my chest, in my ears or eyelashes - seductive, as if someone cared.

Frame it on that wall forever, the way it is in my mind, still. A beautiful drunk artist sits under a sad Picasso for decades. Then ask, What is consciousness trying to discover?

Walking through the Picasso exhibit at MOMA last week, the most remarkable, notable feature was the placement of several American painters' work beside Picasso's. I stand before a rendition of a simple bowl. So what? What's so great about that? Yet beside it, suffered attempts to replicate the same piece by several other artists. Everyone wants to ride the wave of the impulse behind the that image. Why?

Without understanding and context we see a simple bowl. But when we commit to living through every step and stage of the experience of how awareness unfolds - the dormant seed, the breakthrough furl of the first shoot, the unfolding sprout, and the manifestation of form into embodiment - and it ends up looking like a simple bowl.....ah, freedom, arrival, achievement, union. We've been there, we know it, we are in the fluid orb of new awareness.

If we don't ride that wave, we stare and wonder why someone would want to catch it at all. And the feeling of separation ensues. Easy to think we're better than that, or that we're too stupid to get it, or that we don't care anyway.

Many artists, upon seeing Picasso's first American show, were distraught. They couldn't pick up a brush for months. Jackson Pollack's wife ran to his studio to find out what the crashing noise was, to find Pollack sitting on the ground, having thrown his supplies. He looked at her and said, "Picasso, dammit, he thought of everything!"

What happens when someone walks at the frontier? Others are compelled, out of deep sleep, out from pleasant dreams, to follow in pursuit of that dazzling, scintillating precipice. Even for a shape, if that shape is a burgeoning new idea of consciousness. Once one person begins that dance, watch, around the world, the same act of art will appear at the same time.

Consciousness becoming conscious of itself.

Relationships are like this, too. Sure, we can have an affair, a fling, an experience of union, but it's a weather balloon, above everything else. What happens when we attempt to replicate the bowl? All the late night hours in front of a blank canvas. All the shitty attempts that miss the mark. And the pain of our position, always somewhere else than where we ideally want to be.

Exactly.

Dinosaurs, plants, poems, planets, and people - we inch along filling the shoes of all the similar forms close by....and then we are lifted by consciousness into layers and realms that we will come to embody (just to give us a glimpse), but not yet.

We have to take every small step, every mile and year and a thousand pages out, to live into what is already inscribed upon our cellular spire.

I'm cleaning, packing, cleaning more. More cleaning that I've possibly ever done before. Who cares, right? But I do it. I repeat the simple tasks again and again and I begin to see that the door is everywhere. The door to that wave is within every object and every action....and there's a standing, open invitation to seek, find, and enter.

You can scrub a sink until you are no longer scrubbing the sink. You may as well be hiking in a drove of Willow trees. You can contemplate the placement of one sacred object on a table for longer than is required and you will enter a zone of geomancy where light enters the equation. And others feel it.

Passing the first couple, early to the Open House, I hear the woman stand in the room and say, "Something about this, the feel, I don't know....beautiful." And I trail out the door, unseen, smiling. There's a gift we can give each other. Just be willing to be all bothered and bitchy about doing the unpleasant task before you and stay with it long enough to see the light, then join with it, continue your task, and when you feel happy and released and grateful, complete it. Bless it. Then leave it for someone else, who may need that particular kind of shimmer to help them take their next step.

Labels: , ,

13 Comments:

Blogger Amber said...

Wow! So MUCH to this post! Man could we ever chat, sistah. ;)

That childhood memory...Oy. Yes. I get it. In my house it was not a masters painting, but a collection of porcelain clowns! Creeeeepy. But, yeah. Same cigarette in the dark. Ha.

I love that people are feeling the vibration of your home. The vibration of your intent.

:)

10:12 PM  
Blogger Amber said...

I was thinking...have you ever heard that quote, something like this...

"My mother told me if I ever became a priest, I would be the Pope. Instead I am a painter, and I became Picaso."

--Picaso.

I always loved this.

:)

9:04 AM  
Blogger kario said...

Prema, this is gorgeous! I love the synchronicity of the Oreos (black and white) with the picture of the living room.

And I love how you see the pursuit of art. I doubt Picasso painted to show how much better he was than others. He painted to share his soul and his vision, to inspire and connect others. It is amazing how often we allow ourselves to feel inferior or superior when presented with someone else's endeavors.

Finally, about the failed attempts: Sophy Burnham writes, "I have heard that an eagle misses seventy percent of its strikes. Why should I expect to do better? And when he misses, does he scold himself, I wonder, for failing at the task?"

Love you!

9:37 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

How do you find the time/energy/brain/heart to create such beauty in the midst of all the cleaning and packing?!

That little girl under the covers breaks me heart--but then I am reminded that she has been on such a long journey since then, and come so incredibly far. Oreos may still be important sometimes--I myself would never argue with that--but there is so much more as well.

The lovely shimmer from your work touches so many, including me today. Thank you!

12:44 PM  
Blogger Julie Glasser said...

Prema that last paragraph was so beautiful and so well put. It is difficult to say goodbye to a house, to a city, but it you know you are leaving something behind for someone else to love and enjoy, it makes it easier.
Julie

6:57 PM  
Blogger hg said...

Wow, prem. Your writing both massages my mind and makes my brain work so hard it aches - in all the best ways. The way the body feels after a good workout, burning and absolutley peaceful. Energized and at rest.

"If we don't ride that wave, we stare and wonder why someone would want to catch it at all. And the feeling of separation ensues. Easy to think we're better than that, or that we're too stupid to get it, or that we don't care anyway." - What a succint and perfect description of why we write and how easily we become seperated from it.

Ditto Kim, the image of that little girl benath the covers breaks my heart and knowing the journey she's been on inspires it beyond words.

and on more line to qoute beacuse I so love the way it sounds: "Frame it on that wall forever, the way it is in my mind, still."

10:06 AM  
Blogger Go Mama said...

Beautiful post, Prema. So rich, so true.
The pursuit of art, in life, which is consciousness becoming conscious...available at any moment, in any task, in any work...done in awareness, in gratitude, pure expression...becomes light itself. An opportunity for transcendence.

Yet knowing this, we still forget, and "work" to get back to it. Ah, the journey.

Thank you for this.

1:20 PM  
Blogger Michelle O'Neil said...

I am more than willing to leave my dishes and laundry if it means offering someone else a chance at enlightenment.

Who am I to deprive my husband that much?


Seriously though.....beautiful piece Prema. Your writing is amazing.

6:29 PM  
Blogger Julie Christine said...

I will remember your words about scrubbing a sink until you are no longer scrubbing the sink next time I am doing one of the unpleasant chores I am faced with.
Am enjoying reading your colorful, richly descriptive, and poetic style writing.

8:06 PM  
Blogger Carrie Wilson Link said...

Ditto everyone, Prema. Nothing short of flawless writing.

7:13 AM  
Blogger Monica said...

Prema, so much to think about here. Your writing is so pure and clear. I love it. I see what you're saying about doing the task until it, in fact, and surprisingly so, enlightens you. I have to remember that.

10:25 AM  
Blogger Jess said...

Your writing is so beautiful, I get more out of it on each read. SO many good lines in this one... I like the ones Holly picked, like the one about scrubbing the sink...

Love this: "What happens when someone walks at the frontier? Others are compelled, out of deep sleep, out from pleasant dreams, to follow in pursuit of that dazzling, scintillating precipice. Even for a shape, if that shape is a burgeoning new idea of consciousness." Your writing is part of that new frontier, a burgeoning consciousness. Thank you.

12:44 PM  
Blogger Suzy said...

You bring to light the simplest of life in such profound ways.

You live your life as you scrub that sink, until light enters the equation.

Nothing short of astounding- your words.
How fortunate we all are to have crossed paths with you.

11:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home