RiversGrace

Navigating the Sacred and Mundane

Monday, June 04, 2007

Down the River



It's been awhile and now I'm in the middle of the river. Unlike any place I know, when I'm driving the streets that are so familiar, praising the gateway of trees, blocking out all the cars and houses along the way - I am in the boat now, on the river.

Aside from taking stock and inventory of every item I own, wrapping it all in shrouds of paper, putting it in the ground, box after box after box, stacked along walls and walls and walls, I nod to all my friends this morning as I make my way through the neighborhood - the hillside, the row of three stately protector trees, the rise in the pavement, lifting me every time to imagine how it must have looked one hundred years ago. Maybe I'm mistaken, but I thought they waved as I passed.

And then, parking across from Peet's I watch the mist rise over the north hills as a haunting and beautiful Sanskrit chant unfurls from the speakers in the car. Good bye is not a moment. Not this time. For all the years I took off at midnight to avoid confrontation with the love of friendship - the deep, abiding, pull your heart apart love of friendship - now I understand and am trying to honor my tribe as primal and not free, not broken, not transient. I think to myself that I must have walked this land before with just these people around me - what else would cause a pain of separation like this?

I walk across the street and head for the homeless guy that I have hated. Hated to know. Hated to care about. Hated to hear him ask for money every single day. Hated to give him the decency to tell me his daily joke. Hated that he calls me angel and sweetheart and darlin. I say to him, "Franklin, I'm leaving. I'm going away. And I'm really going to miss you. And I want to know that you'll be ok." He opens his arms wide and I fall into them and we hold that embrace and I think - who are we that we care for each other this much? He says, "Angel, you take care, hear me? God bless you." This man, I imagine as a boy down south, as I wait for my latte inside. He once told me that his name comes from his grandfather, whose name came from his father, all decendant slaves of Ben Franklin, who never having had children, named all his slaves Franklin.

Om Namah Shivaya Gurave
Niralambaya Tejase
Om Namah Shivaya Gurave

Sacchinananda Murtaye.....


I sing and whisper and silently turn this chant around the emptying rooms, in and around the recesses of my mind, ladel it over the top of my heart - bathing. Lift my voice like warm rose water, pour a wave of reassurance over the heart, down the body, tucked around cold limbs in bed at night. And it's getting me down the river. Into the current. Let go. Let be. Let go. Remember to breathe.

Some phone calls I cannot answer. An old lover, the thought of whom just makes me ache - so I imagine calling, walking through his tea shop, meeting his gaze, and offering my gratitude. That's all I can do for now. I don't stop loving, nor do I want to stop. I just let it ripen.

In the mix I can't track my direction, just the sensation of movement in many directions at once. There is departure and arrival, though I haven't set foot in the moving truck yet. There is the understanding of change and then, mysteriously, the emergence of what never changes.

Yesterday I sat again with the scholar of Indian philosophy. Hours into discourse, I write on my note pad that if I were to lie down on the grass and my skin fell away, if all my blood watered the soil, and my bones sank into silt far below the suface - and I could listen to these ancient teachings - my soul would send forth tendrils and shoots of flowers, beautifully content in their expression, happy to exist simply for the listening.

I fell asleep. For the last number of years. Is it marriage and motherhood? Not sure. But I am waking up. For all the tremendous lack of sleep, I am waking up. In the middle of the river.

Labels: , , ,

14 Comments:

Blogger Julie Glasser said...

So happy to see you wrote again. I wondered what you have been up to. Both on a day to day basis and in your psyche. Love, Julie

3:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Every post of yours is comprised of these tendrils and happy blooms, Prema, even when you're struggling. Thank you for this beauty!

Am feeling deeply connected to your mentions of the ripening of love, as well as the "emergence of what never changes" -- both of which can take such a long time to reveal themselves.

Blessed journey. xo t

6:54 PM  
Blogger Go Mama said...

"...Into the current. Let go. Let be. Let go. Remember to breathe..."

And tho' your departure may feel bittersweet, letting go of a deep love, you are also awakening into your flow. Remember to lean into the current and let its force carry you...

You are loved. You are safe. You are held...

11:46 PM  
Blogger hg said...

So glad to see you back here. THis is how I read your posts: Once through for the language, so beautiful it distracts me from the story. A second time for the content Then again to synthesize the two. Such a pleasure, such a feast.

Ditto Tracy and go mama.
Love that there in the rapids you have arrived home to that which never changes.

Love this discovery too:
"Good bye is not a moment. Not this time. For all the years I took off at midnight to avoid confrontation with the love of friendship - the deep, abiding, pull your heart apart love of friendship - now I understand and am trying to honor my tribe as primal and not free, not broken, not transient."

5:32 AM  
Blogger Amber said...

Ahh, there you are. Here you are. All your grace and wisdom put into beautiful words. My heart has missed you, friend.

You saying goodbye to Franklin. Hugging goodbye a homeless man...it made me cry a little. The humanity, no matter who we are, or where we find ourselves. The little connections we make. Thank you for bein so open to it, and for sharing your light. I am sure that moment meant something to him...Someone treating him like a person. Just as it meant something to you.

I will come and see you in Portland. I am counting on it, actually. ;)

:)

8:48 PM  
Blogger Jess said...

Beautiful expression of where you are... Everything I was going to say is said. Love the language, love the scene with Franklin, love your love of your friends, your neighborhood, those chants, the awareness of this huge transition you are making.

Thank you for sharing this time with us. And I so look forward to the next part! There is much goodness waiting to unfold here... And tribe, yes. :)

12:10 AM  
Blogger Jerri said...

The conflict of hating Franklin while offering him love and grace: that's the crux of it, isn't it?

You leave your readers "happing to exist simply for the listening." Like Holly, I read each piece several times to savor the language and discover its meanings.

Yesterday afternoon, crying in anger and frustration, I imagined my tears as a river carrying my sadness and anger to the sea, imagined myself floating on their salt water, letting it soak away the pain. And I felt your hand on my back, all the way.

You are an extraordinary woman, Prema. Blessings for your journeys.

4:41 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

So, so beautiful. Tracy said it perfectly: every post you write is wreathed with the tendrils and shoots of your blooms.

And...good morning!

6:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Many blessings on your journey. Go with the current of the river and like you said, remember to breathe. Your words are like beautiful artwork. Few people write like this, with such uplifting and perceptive warmth. I just know this is the right path for you and your family,despite the pain of saying goodbye.

9:21 PM  
Blogger Michelle O'Neil said...

Prema, this is so beautiful.

Our move is 10 days away, and you stopped me in my tracks.

I will remember to really say good-bye.

Thank you.

4:46 AM  
Blogger hg said...

Just thinking about you today. Sending my thoughts and many blessings for these goodbyes and this phase of the move.

9:44 AM  
Blogger Amber said...

OXOX

:)

5:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I rmemeber last October just returned from Darjeeling and Delhi where the rivers of people streamed through the streets, an unbroken flow of humanity from before written history. All the beeping horns were "hello, I am here, I see you". Like corpuscles coursing their way from the heart, back to the heart.

I remember returning and greeting the homeless guy here with all my heart. I remember exclaiming in the midst of Whole Foods, in the midst of a crush and collision of carts and people, "Hey, let's have a big party!"

these moments of transition are cracks, openings through which our greater humanity is given permission to sing, to say Yes to Life.

Blessed is your journey Prema...in the uprooting, so sprout the beautiful new tendrils.

And blessed is your sharing it with all of us.

10:03 PM  
Blogger Amber said...

Miss you lots. Hope you are well. Hugs.

:)

10:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home