RiversGrace

Navigating the Sacred and Mundane

Friday, January 11, 2008

Ritual Bath



Half-way up the stairwell he can't hear my words. I repeat but it's no good. "What? What are you complaining about now?"

Leftovers for River, nothing for us. Two books instead of four and she's asleep. I clock out.

I want to write, want a nice glass of wine, maybe live music and smiling people. An hour and a half later I'm still sitting at the desk.

Thirty six minutes and I walk into the living room, say things I can't take back, and head down the long hall to the bath. I scrub, rinse, and swivel the handle. Hot only.

Two lukewarm baths behind me, I measure in my mind and shut off hot. Cold only. Bath salts, oils, test the temp and undress.

A second wet and I know it's too cold. I get in anyway, hoping that it's warmer than I think. Slide down as far as I can, knees exposed. Any way I figure, not warm enough to warm.

I begin to shiver. Too cold now to get out. I gather waves, water over breasts, shriveled nipples, down my arms. Tepid almost feels good because I'm cold from the inside now. Cold from the middle out. So I stay.

Marriage. My hardest challenge.

5 Comments:

Blogger Carrie Wilson Link said...

I don't know what to say to this except, OMG, you are an incredible writer, and I know EXACTLY what you mean!

8:23 AM  
Blogger hg said...

Wow. Nailed it here. Like Carrie, I know just what you mean. And, as usual, the writing is incredible.

What you were able to do in just a few grafs here, that's a gift.

1:05 PM  
Blogger Go Mama said...

whewwww, P.

Been there, in it, through it, past it, back to it. All I can think to say is feel our hands at your back. May our warmth warm you from the inside out, and may you remember who you are.

Shedding, refining, molding...reflecting...you are still brilliant.

more love....always love...nothing but love.

Come for a visit? Got wine and company. And hot, hot water. And sunshine.

6:19 PM  
Blogger Jerri said...

Enormous challenge. Brilliant writing. Cold comfort.

Sending you rivers of grace. Streams of warmth to soothe your heart and soul. Strength to ride the flow.

Love.

7:36 AM  
Blogger kario said...

Love. Sending love and light.

4:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home