RiversGrace

Navigating the Sacred and Mundane

Friday, February 02, 2007

Solitude



Under water in the hotel bath, dark room. I need to dunk under. And now I am free, working limbs, twisting through the ache of mid-life. In the dark, hard to know what's above and what's below - a favorite childhood practice. I find my way back to the middle of that watery transition tonight.

In a nice Portugese/Italian restaurant, strange town, I read my book and after an hour of appearing all under wraps, I laugh out loud to myself, too hard, dipping a spoon into a glass of tirumisu. Yes, a glass. It should hold a Cosmopoitan, even the waiter is surprised, "Oh, I guess he wants to serve it in this tonight, enjoy." I can't help it - I'm reading about a woman who leaves for Italy after a horrible divorce. She writes in a hilarious, self-depracating, thoughtful way about her pathetic love life. A glass of wine later and I crack up at every line. I know in a few chapters she will go to India, and I discover early on in the book, that she will spend a few months studying under my teacher.

I eat high falutent tortellini as she writes about eating pasta in Rome, and how she possibly gutted an entire marriage for the chance to sit on the floor of an apartment, facing a plate of perfectly boiled eggs, olives, smoked salmon, and cheese. She looks at it for a moment, wonders if she should lament her loss, then eats every single bite and declares to herself, "Yep, for this, it's worth it."

My small slice of fantasy. Woo-hoo, alone for the weekend, away from everything that identifies who I am in the world. And so, I'm just laying here....flat. Pushing the covers back on an early night.

Three ten hour days of essential oil training. Dense. Wonderful, magically conscious, intelligent plant blood.

Wiped out and dreaming to music. How very strange to release myself from the roles of home.

6 Comments:

Blogger Jerri said...

Darling Prema. I loved that book in the same way. Out loud in restaurants, under the covers at home—any where and any way I could. It's a traveling wonder of a book, a glass filled with tiramisu, a plate of perfectly cooked words.

Release yourself into it and your training. Lap it all up and leave the last smidgen of cream at the corner of your lips so that later, at home, you can dip your tongue into that smidgen and remember. . .remember floating in the freedom. . .remember floating all the way back Home. . .and back again to this home, to your anchors in the world, to your heart.

6:59 AM  
Blogger Jerri said...

Just read your comment, Prema. Funny—I felt EXACTLY the same way when I read your post this morning. Wanted SO much to sit and talk with you about Eat, Pray, Love and many, many other things.

Soon, though. Soon.

So much love to you.
j

9:25 AM  
Blogger Amber said...

I am very interested in the work you do. I would love to chat about it sometime...

I have always loved to sit in the dark, in water. The soothing feeling of a womb.

:)

10:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved that book too, I should read it again. So many great moments in it.

And I love reading your blog lately, and am also interested in hearing more about what you're doing.

I so look forward to a time when we can sit in cafes with frothy drinks and talk and write. Not so long. And I look forward to knowing River.

Big love.

10:55 AM  
Blogger Carrie Wilson Link said...

Sounds like bliss.

9:15 PM  
Blogger holly said...

aahhhh! so glad you had this wonderful, relaxing night!

10:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home