RiversGrace

Navigating the Sacred and Mundane

Monday, January 01, 2007

Tired Soup



I can't think it out so I sit down to write. Can't write so I'll give it up to something else. Write me. Write through me. Carry me, I cannot walk.

I don't want to write about being sick any more than I want to be sick. At first being sick makes me mad - so damn inconvenient, espeicially during the holidays. Weeks go by and I am past mad. I am defeated, down. Another week passes and I am afraid, waking in the middle of the night, weeping.

How is it that we can be so in the dark about what happens in our own body? Amazing if you think about it.

You know the regular sort of deal during illness: if I get better I will be more mindful about this and that and, right, that other thing, too. And then comes the private pleading, appeals that head toward prayer. Prayer starts in the night, when I think I can't take anymore and then I do.

If this is a mountainous region, I try to find my way in my simple jeep. But around every turn, another unexpected visitor.

In four weeks I've had the flu, a womping yeast infection which turned to a bladder infection. Then a brush with toxic shock and staph. If that's not bad enough, I started fertility drugs. One day of reprieve, then a horrible respiratory infection. Coughing that doesn't end.

I drive myself to the ER early yesterday morning. I wait hours with a schizophrenic, Hannibal Lector, guy ranting on and on. Then I make it to the part where I get to lay on a gurney for another few hours, now with the HL dude next to me, divided by a thin curtain, whispering horrible, horrible things to me. At one point, after they had me take off my clothes and wait in the 'gown', he opens the curtain and screams, "What's the scariest thing that's ever happened to you? Have you been raped? Should I rape your daughter then cut her up and eat her at MacDonald's!"

They move me to another room next to a guy who tried to OD because he can't take living on the streets for a seventh year with HIV. For another few hours I listen to his self-talk about more horrible, horrible things.

And I think: Why am I here? What is this really all about?

I felt so relived and grateful to drive home after eight hours at the hospital, though all I left with was a prescription for cough syrup. I'm sure I will pay several thousand dollars for that cough syrup visit. Everything was getting better as I washed off the day, until I couldn't see straight out of one eye. I came home with Pink Eye! Of all things! WTF.

I lost it today - only I can't cry because then I cough and I look pathetic enough with my crooked glasses and cracked lips. I crawled up to bed last night at 9pm, oblivious to the New Year. So mad for more suffering and that I have to worry about River catching yet another infection from me.

That's my gripe. Phew.

I know people struggle every day with far worse conditions - it's just so hard to endure on-going pain and suffering in the body. So lonely. When appearance fades and all the things that hold up my identity retreat....who am I then? It's all nice to practice in a meditation retreat, but rather frightening when suddenly it's just taken away without warning.

We were planning to go away for my birthday this weekend, but the place burned down three days ago. See?? It's make you wonder, doesn't it? And last night we cancelled the birthday dinner - I'd like to be able to breathe and taste my food when I celebrate.

If I said it was getting quiet before, it's now quiet. Aside from the occassional fit of tears, I am remembering that zero feeling - when I've cried it all out and I am just me - all the way down and all the way back and ever-present.

Metamorphosis. The butterfly moalts down to soup. How long is that waiting between the old and the new?

8 Comments:

Blogger Jerri said...

Love to you, dear Prema. Hope you feel MUCH better soon.

8:43 PM  
Blogger Carrie Wilson Link said...

Only one way things can go from here, up. WAY up, f'ing UP! How miserable, all of it. The ER experience alone, WTF indeed! It's so hard to see the light through this dark time, but light a candle, then two, and likewise, your eyes will adjust until the tipping point, where there is too much light to call anything dark.

I'm sending you love, light, and complete wellness.

4:31 PM  
Blogger Suzy said...

Prema, so sorry you have to deal with this stuff. Know you are in my thoughts and prayers.
Be well soon, my friend.

7:23 AM  
Blogger holly said...

Oh, Prema~

Lots of rest and quiet to you. Soup and sleep and silence.

blanketing you in thoughts of love and health and a happy birthday!

Love.

7:03 PM  
Blogger Amber said...

I feel for you. I swear that when I had surgery on my face this summer, I am STILL just getting over the healing, and all it took out of me. That is why I wasn't ready for the holidays at all...It brought up all these old feelings, and anxiety. I have not had anxiety bad for years, but ever since I have been dealing with it again! It is crazy how your body is so connected to your emotions and mind! and I am getting ready to do another one this month or next! I feel like my life will be on hold until it's all over.

I hope you start feeling better soon! I hope it all passes...and NOT onto River. Ug. Sicko kids. :(

oxox :)

1:09 PM  
Blogger Jess said...

Oh Prema, what an awful time. Seems we are all having a pretty hellish post-holiday week, eh? I wish you were here in Portland so we could all take care of you, somehow. Take River for a whole, make you tea.

You have such an amazing way of expressing everything, turning the mundane into something more transcendent, even if it doesn't feel that way to you at the time.

This reminds me a bit of when I cycled through every different ailment last winter in Cairo, for weeks, the air so polluted I could never get a good deep breath.

My heart is with you. Love.

12:52 AM  
Blogger Go Mama said...

Prema,
I hope this finds you mending, resting, gathering strength on the way up. What a strange trip it has been. Sometimes everything has to just fall apart; scramble. But what is essential is never lost. You are still in there, however melty.
Love.

11:52 PM  
Blogger The Geezers said...

You write a very nice blog, Prema.

I hope you get well soon. Illness has things to teach us sometimes. I think we heal about the time we learn the lessons.

12:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home