RiversGrace

Navigating the Sacred and Mundane

Monday, October 06, 2008

A Great Life

This morning I'm running around, the list is long in my mind, and out of nowhere I think of an old client. She comes to mind so strongly that I feel a tingling in my limbs. In the basement twenty minutes later, folding laundry, miles away in gyrations of thought, a plastic tarp nailed up to divide rooms begins to sway. There's no wind, no gust, no movement of air nearby. The presence of my old client, dear woman, comes to me again - so clear, eerie - and I stand up, fully cognizant of the sensation of spirit.

I run upstairs and google her name. It's been a few years since we've spoken. Five links down and I see what I expect to see. Her obituary. I can't breathe for a second and then emotion overwhelms my airways.

The first time she came to see me she literally fell through the door, onto the ground. Without hesitation, I hit the floor, flat out, eye to eye, and that's where we started our journey together. From that first moment, from panic and terror and despair, we found our way, year by year, to profound depths of awe and wonder for life. Together we found a more suitable map for her life - left by the great poet-saints, wisdom teachers, and seekers - and with that new orientation, beholding her life as a journey - a full-on, full-out, spiritual journey - she went forth in her amazing way and touched so many others with an indomitable spirit.

We sat together through the dark night of terminal diagnosis, remission and return. We sat with the poems that delivered her to the liberation of spirit and love in the body. We allowed the sacred to enter our exchange - her courage to open anew was astounding to me. I've never met another human who so thoroughly and wholeheartedly embraced life. She changed me, and I waited long hours with her until she was changed from the great light within.

I challenged her with every stitch of faith in my bones. I challenged her to dig deeper than the pain....and she did. In turn, she took me where I had never been before.

I struggled silently with her, with myself, with life, with my own mortality. She never knew how much I cried on my drive home after our sessions. Such was the incredible nature of her journey. Now she knows, and I feel the spirit of compassion coming through these waves. I've often felt like I've lost all my teachers, but this morning I bow again, truly.

Please honor the life and passing of a most beautiful woman, Deb Mosley. May her life inspire us to choose the wise path instead of the small stage.

Please hear Deb, in her own words, describe her experience of climbing Half Dome.

Blessings on your journey, Deb. Wherever you are now, may the light open and open and open.

When I Have Gone

When you hear that I have gone,
honor me with a good death.

If I die alone,
marvel at my love of solitude;
if I die surrounded,
know that I loved good company.

If my brother comes,
know that we made peace;
if he is absent,
know that we respected our differences.

At 82,
celebrate my good long life;
at 37,
toast my wise old soul.

If you hear I took the pills,
accept that I was ready to surrender;
if there were no pills to take,
know that I considered taking the pills.

If I do not suffer,
let it be said, I longed for peace;
if you hear that I was weeping,
think not sorrow,
but Glory,
Magic,
and Wonder.

If I have time for parting words,
let it be said,
"They were profound!"
And if I say nothing,
be patient;
it'll keep, until we meet again.

If my bones are ravaged, and the fire dances
in the marrow,
be comforted;
I was curious about the fire,
and say, "Damn! That girl could dance!"

If I am wide-eyed and wild, gasping for air,
imagine heaven is an ocean,
and I just became a fish.

If it is said that I was white-knuckled and
clinging to the bed sheets,
do not assume I wanted to take the bed
sheets with me...

Perhaps I just slid onto the seat of my new Harley,
and I wrapped my fingers around the throttle...
Vroom! Vroom!
My God! Marilyn sure feels good
with her arms wrapped around my waist,
and her breasts pressed up against my back.

© Deborah A. Mosley


7 Comments:

Blogger Carrie Wilson Link said...

What an incredible tribute to an obviously incredible woman. I can't shake that image of you with the sheets rustling, and you knowing she had passed...

12:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

All I can say is 'Wow' Prema. What a wonderful story she tells, what a wonderful tribute you write, and how blessed you two were to find each other and have the opportunity to work together. Thank you. (And it changed the course of my day:-).

3:38 PM  
Blogger Michelle O'Neil said...

Oh Prema.

So beautiful, you. Her.
Thank you.
You are amazing.

6:16 PM  
Blogger Amber said...

She must have loved you very much, to come to you and let you know she had gone.

((you))

:)

9:52 PM  
Blogger kario said...

Love to you.
Thank you for sharing her with us.

10:09 AM  
Blogger Beth Hikes said...

Hi Prema, today I was drawn to start brainstorming your business name and wanted to read your blog again. This story of Deb has moved me so deeply. I appreciate that we have been able to meet through LWL and look forward to learning from your writing. With deep gratitude and thanks, Beth

2:46 PM  
Blogger John said...

Courage and wise counsel. A worthy tribute to any life.

10:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home