RiversGrace

Navigating the Sacred and Mundane

Thursday, November 02, 2006

How We Shine


Listening to a song about the sun burning, as the rain pours to the pavement behind my back, out the window.

Yesterday, while sitting across from my amazing web designer, I began to cry. I really hate to cry, always have hated to cry, as far back as I can remember. Mid-sentence, answering questions about where I want to take this writing thing, questions about who I am, what I’ve done with my life, and what I see ahead, I welled up. I took a moment because I couldn’t speak; instead, I followed the image of myself as a kid, walking across the schoolyard, a group of kids behind me taunting.

My father owned a family drugstore close to my elementary school, and the kids used to make fun of me for having money (we really didn’t but I didn’t know it). Any time I walked out of the store with a toy, or came to school with anything new, they sneered. I didn’t let the embarrassment or shame show, I just became less visible.

In high school I was class president and played varsity sports. Just so that no one would feel bad in comparison, I failed most of my classes. I can’t think of one relationship I’ve ever been in where I didn’t make sure I wasn’t outdoing the people I cared about.

Instead of competing, achieving, excelling, I chose to safely remain just under the radar. Mustn’t shine or be too good at anything. It took me fifteen years to get my BA because I would always stop short of completion. I should have a PhD for all of the courses I have taken. And all the professional trainings that I have logged, but never allowed myself the certifications – it’s a shame.

Growing up in the shadow of a miserable alcoholic, who never allowed herself to receive proper credit for her aliveness, beauty, creativity, and skill, I withered. My happiness, especially my achievements, somehow made her feel worse. What to do. Had to get by, so I did it by becoming just a little crazier than her at any given moment. Can’t put that on a resume.

Anyway, nothing poetic to say today, can’t muster it. Just thinking about finally letting go of the habit and the story, and trusting that going with what I love will not truly hurt anyone else. And if it does, unbeknownst to me, then maybe that’s not the worst thing in the world either.

It’s so ironic. I thought I wrote in isolation because I was afraid of failing. No. That’s safe. Been there, done that. I am afraid to do well. Afraid to be bright.

Lots of prayer flags for this one.

7 Comments:

Blogger Jess said...

Prema,
Nothing poetic to say today? But what is poetic....? There are all kinds of poetry, and your writing is certainly one. All of it.... Thank you for sharing your path...
And enjoy that sun. There sure isn't any sun here in Portland today.
Jess

4:16 PM  
Blogger Suzy said...

Prema,
The taunting is over. People around you want to see your brightness. It's time. Your writing inspires and tells others not to be afraid. Its not about always finishing,it's about the journey, and yours is incredibly special and needs to be shared.
All blessings to you.

5:16 PM  
Blogger Go Mama said...

Oh wow...do I know that one...afraid to be a failure, afraid to be bright. It's a catch 22 illusion.
For the record, writing your raw truth IS poetry for so many, myself included. Thank you for being so honest. Go with it and shine...

8:57 PM  
Blogger Jerri said...

The truth of this piece echoes through the center of my bones, Prema.

Never be smarter than the boys. Always let your husband think the good stuff is his idea. Don't make anyone uncomfortable with your ideas or your heart or your vivid spirituality. Who taught us this crap? Everyone and no one, it seems.

The thing is, YOU can't be anything but bright. And your brightness is lighting the way for so many of us, with thousands--millions--more to come, I just know it.

Be bright. Be brave. Be yourself. As GoMama told me the other day, we got your back. You and me and the others of our tribe--we each are standing dead center in a marvelous circle of women, and we all got each other's backs.

How great is that?

5:22 AM  
Blogger Carrie Wilson Link said...

I'm sorry, didn't a wise, wise woman suggest to you recently that you were afraid of success, and you denied it? Next time, just come to me FIRST, and we'll save everyone a lot of who-ha! SHINE! You MUST shine, it is your obligation to your soul's journey to SHINE! Don't hide your light under a bushel, SHINE!

7:37 PM  
Blogger Carrie Wilson Link said...

P.S. I LOVE this post because it is so real! If I didn't know you, I'd "know you" from reading this. You know?

7:39 PM  
Blogger Michelle O'Neil said...

.....and as you succeed you give others permission to do the same.

Peace.

7:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home