RiversGrace

Navigating the Sacred and Mundane

Monday, October 23, 2006

Going Big with Grace and Vision


I write primarily to honor life and to share the grace and the vision. This is what I wrote in response to Jennifer Lauck’s question: Why do you write?

Just back from Portland, sitting in my favorite Indian restaurant. The sitar screams and wails to the tabla’s infiltrating thud. Right through my chest. Straight to the heart.

I cannot avoid what I love and this has made for an interesting journey. The fall-on-your-knees-too-many-times kind of journey. That kind of love is searing – I hate and long for it simultaneously. Walking down the street in India I swing from the rafters of angst and exuberance. Ten years later in my mind, the same.

I ate at this restaurant when I was pregnant, dreaming into the life of my baby, same table, same music. The woman who always works here, long beautiful braid, nods to me every time I come. She peeks out from the kitchen now and calls over, “How’s your baby?” I smile and wave, “She’s almost two!”

Coming from the great circle of women writers, this was the only place I could think to go. Cardamom, ginger, garlic. And chai. One by one, the grandmother, father, and sisters emerge from the kitchen, and stopping halfway across the room, they recognize me and smile. This strange kinship restores whatever alienated feeling I carried through the airport.

Reading my writing this weekend was a big step. It’s not about the writing. It’s about being seen and hiding nothing. Jennifer wonders if she is becoming a wrathful teacher, which reminds me of Rumi’s poem about the knife that is so sharp it cuts things together instead of apart. She has the audacity and compassion required to speak truly. And funny to boot. What a blessing.

One message I walked away with is to write more about the grit. If I were doing that today I would write about the ballistic fit River threw this morning. We went from warm good morning hugs to full-throttle screams as I strong-armed her into a bath. Or how I fought with my husband the moments before and after entering and emerging from the amazing workshop. If I really wanted to dwell, I could write about the foul smell saturating the house from the rat living behind the stove. “Go big with that!” Jennifer would urge. “How is that in your body? We want to know.”

Lovin the objects. Going for the demons!

But truly, thank god for a circle of women. Knowing that ultimately we are alone, we are not meant to do this work alone.

Time to pick up my girl, but I sit for another moment. Eyes closed. The flutes are winding - perfect slithering snakes of sound.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Prema:

Your words, "But truly, thank god for a circle of women. Knowing that ultimately we are alone, we are not meant to do this work alone." reminds me of something I thought about this last week. I just got back from a week in India with Carolynn. I was amazed again at the immense flow of humanity there and the way people constantly touch one another, whether it be eye contact, sharing food, bumping together in crowded markets, or by tooting horns while driving. We did not enter the inner world of family life in this visit, but I can remember staying with a well to do goldsmith family in Mumbai in 1981. There were 13 people (including 3 married couples) living in two small apartment rooms. There was little or no privacy...I have no idea how couples managed intimate time together. But there was tremendous support for chores and child rearing. Babies were handed from sister to auntie to amma, women worked in groups, always chatting and interacting. It was extended family at its best.

In the same way, a marriage was not two people leaving their families to go off on their own: it was the joining of two families. The honeymoon was not what we think of: the couple spent 2 weeks visiting all of their new in-laws as a way of reinforcing the connections.

It seems to me that this western (and particularly American) experiment in supremacy of the individual has some wonderful advantages, but the struggles you describe - and which we know all so well - are the downside. When faced with parental challenges (oh yes, adolescence is yet lurking in your distant horizon) Carolynn and I often will look at each other and gasp, "Thank God there are two of us!" I suspect that old age will show us another disadvantage of this system, and then there may not be the two of us left. Sigh.

And yes, every parent at some time will wonder about flushing that child down the toilet. I raise my hand, guilty as charged.

Love,

Seth

7:09 PM  
Blogger riversgrace said...

Seth - so lovely to hear from you! Thanks for your thoughts. Lovely, too. Isn't it a great ride?

7:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stunning writing. Simply stunning.
I also attended two of Jennifer's workshops and your words, "She has the audacity and compassion required to speak truly. And funny to boot. What a blessing," hit the nail right on the head.
Beautiful post.

6:47 AM  
Blogger Carrie Wilson Link said...

Prema,

Oh good, I see Suzy found you. I love Suzy! I love you! Happy, happy, happy you two have met!

Your writing is so poetic, so amazing. I know you will "go big" with all that you need to, and your book will go big, too, very big!

Love, love and more love.

7:24 AM  
Blogger Jerri said...

Perfect slithering snakes of sound.

Perfect description.

Gratitude is my main practice, Prema, so it comes fairly natural to me. And yet, even in the midst of that practice I find myself ever more thankful to have encountered you on this journey of living and loving and writing.

Can't wait to see you go big with the grit. It exists in direct proportion to the beauty and holds the same value. I SO prefer to dwell in the Light that I have to remind myself that it only exists in contrast to the dark.

Of all the beauty in your letters to River, one of my favorites is the wisdom about balance and the pendulum.

More later. More soon.

8:17 AM  
Blogger Go Mama said...

Prema,
Welcome to the circle...and thank you for welcoming me too. I'm looking forward to more of your writing.

"Reading my writing this weekend was a big step. It’s not about the writing. It’s about being seen and hiding nothing. "

Yes. Absolutely. And as for the grit, there is as much profundity as there is profanity in the mundane, not unlike mothering. Bring it on!

2:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home